RDP annoyances

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I accidentally installed the new RDP client on my work machine, and can't seem to rip it out. Is there a way to get rid of these annoyances:

1: It prompts for username/password before even connecting to the server. If by chance the server is down, I just entered that for nothing. Sometimes I will continuously try to RDP to a server after rebooting it, since if I can ping it, does not mean it's fully up. This is a real PITA.

2: Some stupid security certificate warning, the piss off about this one is I tried a 3rd party app and even in that app it does it. Guessing it's a global windows thing. I'm connecting to a server that is sitting one room away from me, in the same IP range. Of course I trust that connection. You'd think MS would be smart enough to figure out that 99% of time RDP is used by IT pros who know what they are doing.

Any way to get rid of these two annoyances?

The 2nd one mostly, because if I can get rid of that, I can use that 3rd party client (RD tabs) as it does look pretty slick.

I normally click the "Dont show this warning again for this connection" and it never comes back when i remote to that server again. The first issue, just type in admin and hit enter, it will then connect to the server and ask for the password

Problem is, we have about 100 servers, so doing this for each one gets old fast.

At one point I solved the password issue but I really don't remember what I did.

You should look into an RDP manager such as Devolutions, i don't believe they prompt you for the security issue, its a lot easier to manage as well

for managing a number of servers, using the Microsoft Terminal Services Client (mstsc.exe, RDP), you're doing it wrong.

I have not looked in to Devolutions, but I did find Remote Desktop Connection Manager which was made by somebody at Microsoft.

The thing i like about Devolutions is that it allows for more than just RDP. You can configure telnet, ssh, vnc and a lot of other connection types in it. Rdp manager from MS is just for RDP

that would be why I haven't found it. Haven't had a need for telnetting, ssh'ing, etc much. Different set of folks that mange the switches and routers. I just do servers, so RDC Manager works for me.

Ok trying out the manager, but all I get is "error possibly involving gateway settings" when I try to connect to any server. Any way to fix this? We don't have a TS gateway server nor the money/resources for one.

Back