RDC Connection problem

supergper

Gawd
This is a strange problem and I am open to any and all suggestions. I have a remote user that is unable to remote desktop (Microsoft) in once they are connected to our VPN. Their machine is a Power Mac G4 1GHz, etc. I can Apple Remote Desktop to their machines when they are connected to our VPN, once on their machine I can VNC to different servers in our Data Center, I can ssh in to different servers in our Data Center, I can ping all machines by name or IP so I know the connection is working. I can VPN in when I'm at home and connect just fine via MS RDC. I thought something was screwy with their machine so I sent another Power Mac out to them, same exact issue. Firewall is turned off on their Mac.

This is the strange part, when they use their PC laptop they can RDC just fine. I know both PC RDC and Mac RDC use port 3389 but does the mac handle the communications differently? My user has SBC Global DSL. I'm wondering if the connection is handled differently and for some reason they (SBC Global) are blocking something from coming back in. This was working just fine up to about a month ago. Nothing changed on our end, and like I said, I can connect fine.

Any Thoughts???

one other thing, I can telnet to the target boxes on port 3389 from the problem machine. Also, all machines are fully up to date (10.4.10) and I've tried RDC 1.3 and 2.0 beta, along with CoRD. None of them work.

are you trying to connect via the computer/servers name or ip address? I'm guessing you are hitting it by name. I would try hitting it by ip address and try that.

I've never really seen the mac version of MS's rdp client work any different then the pc one as far as connecting goes. Odd problem. If you do figure it out shoot me a pm or post it in this forum as I'd like to know what is going on(have a few clients that use macs to remote into pcs or terminal servers that my clients have)

are you trying to connect via the computer/servers name or ip address? I'm guessing you are hitting it by name. I would try hitting it by ip address and try that.

I've never really seen the mac version of MS's rdp client work any different then the pc one as far as connecting goes. Odd problem. If you do figure it out shoot me a pm or post it in this forum as I'd like to know what is going on(have a few clients that use macs to remote into pcs or terminal servers that my clients have)

I've tried both name based and IP based. Both do the same thing. :(

Anything in the logs? Maybe console will have some clues for you.

Usually RDC issues like this stems from corrupted prefs.

But then you said you sent out a fresh machine and it did the same.

Back