RC and a new legacy box

strikeout

[H]ard|Gawd
made an RC box with old s939 parts from 3 oem boxes. Everything is pretty much legacy stuff, EIDE dvd rom, EIDE HD, s939 board w/IGP, single core 3500+, ps/2 mouse and by, and VGA 15in monitor. Seems to work well for its use a web box.
windowsexperience.jpg

Now I plan to turn this loose on the family. I already installed firefox and AV. Now I want to lock it down so they cant load crap on it. Nothing like checking up on it and seeing crap like toolbars in the browser.

Last edited:
... so what do you need help with? Or are you just striking up friendly conversation?

Looks like a solid build. Though, I would have avoided installing windows 7 for a family box when xp is perfectly fine.

Looks like a solid build. Though, I would have avoided installing windows 7 for a family box when xp is perfectly fine.

I've found that 7 runs as well (and sometimes better) than XP on the same "older" machines I have around the house.
I have a socket 754 system with 1.5GB ram, AthlonXP 3200+ and a GeForce 6200 card, and it runs suprisingly well with 7.

I don't have any more legit copies of xp. This was just for them until I buy some HDs and WHS.

... so what do you need help with? Or are you just striking up friendly conversation?

I can't find the password function in the control panel. My girlfriend's box runs vista and you have to type in the admin password anytime you want to install a program.

I can't find the password function in the control panel. My girlfriend's box runs vista and you have to type in the admin password anytime you want to install a program.

That would be because she has a regular User account, not administrator. It's all in the User Accounts control panel.

Back