RBG cable on a 21"

bob

2[H]4U
Someone I know asked me if I wanted to buy a 21" monitor. I really wanted to replace the tv with this monitor, and have a nice HTPC, or just do work from my bed 'cause im lazy.

Its a CRT, but I figure 21" is much better than a 15". I knew there must be some catch for $30. The catch is, it uses those four RCA sized "RGB" plugs rather than an SVGA plug.

I said, 21 inches is 21 inches, i dont care what connector it uses. But im here thinking, how can I use this without using an OLD videocard with the plugs. Im sure some new cards designed for CAD word have these plugs, but My videocard budget is $90.

Is there a 15-pin SVGA to RGB adapter of some sort for cheap? And if so, what would the loss of quality be? Im having a hard time finding this on google, probably because my terminology is wrong.

These are BNC cables, they are actually suppose to give you better picture quality than a normal VGA cable.

ohnnyj said:
25' may degrade quality but not sure.
*heh* If you're gonna put BNC connectors on a cable you can guarantee they're not gonna cheap-out on the cable itself. These things are typically meant for high-end machines, we had an SGI Onyx2 at my university that drove a Sony GDM-FW900 plus a bunch of projectors with those cables, the Onyx2 was in a separate air-conditioned room that was easily 25' away. Signal degradation was not an issue. ;)

I didn't know that, I happen to have a FW900 myself hooked up with a 6' Monster BNC cable but I had no idea I could go up to 25'.

As long as the cable is good quality, it should have no problem running 100+ feet.
I was using 25' from my PC to my projector and had no problems.

I had a 22" iiyama monitor awhile back with BNC connectors. Very high quality. Even the cheapest cables are going to run at least 30'.

Back