Razer Synapse really causes issues

I3eyond

Gawd
Searched the forums, and didn't see any posts relevant to this in the past several years.

Switch over from Logitech to Razer, in particular the Blackwidow Elite & the Deathadder Elite.

I don't have much use for Synapse, other than setting my sensitivity, disabling the sens. stages so I don't accidentally click them, and, finally, disabling the volume control knob on the keyboard so *if* my mouse hits it, it doesn't affect volume.

Not sure if Synapse is required for Chroma lighting for games; however, if it is, yet another reason I suppose I need Synapse.

I really enjoy the hardware.

TLDR~ Razer Synapse constanstly resets my settings to default, won't hold the profiles, and probably the absolute worst problem is that until I can end all of the Razer tasks in Task Manager, my keyboard and mouse sometimes become completely nonfunctional.

**Updated "TLDR"~ Razer Synapse takes complete control of my system, and without ending in task manager, my keyboard and mouse becomes completely nonfunction** HELP!

Please help!

Best,
-I3

Last edited:
How come your TLDR has nothing to do with your post ?

TLDR: this is my problem.

That's not how a TLDR works. TLDR is to summarize what you already wrote

Did you copy paste something wrong ?
Is the TLDR correct and describing an issue you need help with?

How come your TLDR has nothing to do with your post ?

TLDR: this is my problem.

That's not how a TLDR works. TLDR is to summarize what you already wrote

Did you copy paste something wrong ?
Is the TLDR correct and describing an issue you need help with?

Whoops, got a little long winded. Updated it, hope that helps. Thanks!

Most of your requirements (in your pre-TDLR rant) you've listed will require Synapse in one way or another. I know from personal experience that it must be running for the Chroma lighting on the DeathAdder Elite to not default to the rainbow color cycle mode. The mouse has no on-board memory to recall any bindable functionality. Changing sensitivity on-the-fly will absolutely require Synapse. Everything that makes it a modern mouse requires Synapse.

Synapse is not supposed to lock you out of anything. "Locking you out" of anything is not normal behavior. Have you tried a clean install? Try searching the Razer forums for others with similar issues?

Just to be clear, you're not required to use Synapse. But you have to realize that without it, the device will pretty much function as a dumb device, devoid of any modern features.

Since we're ranting here, I find Synapse a bit bloaty for my tastes. The lighting defaults are annoying enough for me to run it so I can enforce my lighting preference. I can't say I've noticed any other issues with Synapse other than what annoyances I've stated. I don't need on-the-fly sensitivity changes or key rebinding, so I'm probably in the rare category of minimalist. Most users are probably going to need Synapse.

Most of your requirements (in your pre-TDLR rant) you've listed will require Synapse in one way or another. I know from personal experience that it must be running for the Chroma lighting on the DeathAdder Elite to not default to the rainbow color cycle mode. The mouse has no on-board memory to recall any bindable functionality. Changing sensitivity on-the-fly will absolutely require Synapse. Everything that makes it a modern mouse requires Synapse.

Synapse is not supposed to lock you out of anything. "Locking you out" of anything is not normal behavior. Have you tried a clean install? Try searching the Razer forums for others with similar issues?

Just to be clear, you're not required to use Synapse. But you have to realize that without it, the device will pretty much function as a dumb device, devoid of any modern features.

Since we're ranting here, I find Synapse a bit bloaty for my tastes. The lighting defaults are annoying enough for me to run it so I can enforce my lighting preference. I can't say I've noticed any other issues with Synapse other than what annoyances I've stated. I don't need on-the-fly sensitivity changes or key rebinding, so I'm probably in the rare category of minimalist. Most users are probably going to need Synapse.

Checked the Razer forums already, everyone is ranting on and on about it with no fix in sight that I can find.

Again, love the product, but the software is problematic.

Did you download the latest Synapse 3 from the Razer website? Try uninstalling any existing Synapse software and installing the latest from the Razer website.

Has Synapse ever worked for you? Did you successfully create/login an account the first time?

One thing to note is that Synapse 3 is cloud-based and must have an active internet connection to function. So if you firewall it, or you can't login to the server, then Synapse will not function. It's one of the big "gotchas" to buying modern Razer products.

Also Synapse 3 requires a bunch of Windows services that should not be 'Disabled', otherwise it will not function. Synapse 3 is not a simple app that you can just run and close whenever you feel like it. So if you use something like Autoruns (with the intent of killing telemetry) and disable the Razer services, registry entries, etc., then it will not function correctly.

The software with Razer has been my #1 complaint with them. So much so I've ditched them altogether.

Did you download the latest Synapse 3 from the Razer website? Try uninstalling any existing Synapse software and installing the latest from the Razer website.

Has Synapse ever worked for you? Did you successfully create/login an account the first time?

One thing to note is that Synapse 3 is cloud-based and must have an active internet connection to function. So if you firewall it, or you can't login to the server, then Synapse will not function. It's one of the big "gotchas" to buying modern Razer products.

Also Synapse 3 requires a bunch of Windows services that should not be 'Disabled', otherwise it will not function. Synapse 3 is not a simple app that you can just run and close whenever you feel like it. So if you use something like Autoruns (with the intent of killing telemetry) and disable the Razer services, registry entries, etc., then it will not function correctly.

Extremely helpful post. If you know more, you could probably do a write-up if you wanted to help a lot of Razer users, because through all of my searching on the Internet, there's not much resolution.

Has Synapse ever worked for you? Did you successfully create/login an account the first time? Yes/Yes

Also Synapse 3 requires a bunch of Windows services that should not be 'Disabled ~ Such as?

Thanks.

-I3

Also Synapse 3 requires a bunch of Windows services that should not be 'Disabled ~ Such as?
If you've not been mucking around with the registry, services, etc. then you need not worry about it. I'm fairly certain that a clean install of Synapse will default all that back to what it should be. Most users aren't savvy enough to figure out how to do something that technical, but this is [H], so I can't assume the average user here.

Only reason I mentioned it at all is because I accidentally broke Synapse one day. Turns out it was because I disabled a Razer service that it apparently depends on. I distinctly recall being motivated to do this because I thought the service in question was purely telemetry related. I had been getting away with disabling Nvidia's telemetry-related services. Razer's Synapse didn't like my disabling of its services, so I had to turn that stuff back on. I just left Synapse (i.e. Razer's services) alone after that.

Edit: Your issues are still not stated very clearly, so it's hard to give anything but general advice.

Last edited:
The largest issue that I have is that frequently, my mouse config will go away (sensitivity buttons disabled), and same with keyboard. The only way to fix is to end all Razer processes and restart Synapse.

Are you by chance getting any random USB disconnects? Do you ever hear the Connect/Disconnect sound?

Are you by chance getting any random USB disconnects? Do you ever hear the Connect/Disconnect sound?

I do not.

Edit~ Testing it by taking a small extra step and running as administrator when I start it up. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

All very good advice

But...:

All that for a f’n mouse to work? No thank you.

Update~ If I lose settings, so far logging out of Synapse and back in has resolved the issue. This is still cumbersome to a degree; likewise, better than having to end all Razer processes without a working mouse.

Simple fix.

Install synapse
Set up what you want (colour/sensitivity etc)
Uninstall synapse
??
Profit

Seriously, it works

Synapse 3 is still BETA. Glancing at the Razer forums, it clearly has a long way to go towards being stable. I haven't ran into this particular issue myself.

OP: At this point, I'd suggest rolling back to Synapse 2. Although, fair warning, the Blackwidow Elite isn't on its list of supported devices. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try?

Simple fix.

Install synapse
Uninstall synapse
??
Profit

Seriously, it works
Terrible advice. Are you up to date on how the latest Razer hardware works? There's no onboard storage to recall settings. They've moved to a total cloud solution for an on-the-fly configuration. Manual configuration might have worked for past hardware that actually could store the settings on the device. OP's hardware is too new and does not qualify as that. Soon as Synapse stops running, the hardware will most likely revert back to factory defaults. For the DeathAdder Elite, it won't retain the Chroma settings, so it will instantly revert back to the default color cycle. The DPI/sensitivity is about the only thing I've tested that remains intact.

I have a Logitech G810 keyboard that does the same thing. Soon as I kill Logitech Gaming Software, it will instantly revert back to its factory default color cycle. It's older brother, the G910 does remember. Why the difference in behavior? Because the G810 doesn't have on-board storage like the G910.

These devices are designed to work in full concert with their software.

Simple fix.

Install synapse
Uninstall synapse
??
Profit

Seriously, it works

This is what i do as well, the software is a steaming pile of crap, but my mouse does remember its last settings without the software.

Back