Razer Orochi

jamesrb

[H]ard|Gawd
Did anyone else pre-order this?

I got it in today to use with the laptop. Razer's marketing is extremely misleading. While the product page says that it is 4000dpi, it leaves out the fact that you can only do 2000dpi in wireless mode.

Given this (in my opinion), this mouse does not justify the price. I guess I won't be doing any more Razer pre-orders, and this has really left me with a bad opinion of the company.

The mouse has a good feel, though feels a bit on the cheap side for the price. The entire top of the mouse (including buttons) come off to put in the batteries. This seems kind of cheap, but I 'm sure it will be fine. The sensitivity and response are great in wired mode (1000hz, 4000dpi). I like that it has forward and back buttons on both sides to be ambidextrous. I was able to change the buttons on the right side to dpi adjustment.

Instead of putting on a pairing button, you have to hold all four of the side buttons for five seconds to get into pairing mode. This would be a bigger hassle if you wanted to switch the mouse between computers. Instead of a power button or switch, you get a weird power slider.

When using the mouse in wireless mode, no mouse settings can be changed in the software. Instead, you have to get out a usb cable and plug it in to change any setting. It also has the previously mentioned limitation of 2000dpi. Also, it is limited to 125hz, though I don't consider this to hurt performance. It performs exceptionally well in bluetooth mode with the features that work.

Overall, this seems like a half-implemented product. At $50, this would seem like a better deal. I like the wireless performance, other than the absolute lack of all featuers that make it a great product. In wired mode, it performs just as well as Razer's higher end mice.

For $80, I would have been much happier if they could have implemented a full feature set in wireless mode. If the limitations are due to bluetooth, then they should have shipped this with a micro usb receiver to have a mini-Mamba.

UPDATE: When I bought this mouse, I assumed the battery life would be equivalent to that of other 2 x AA mice. Previous mice I have had that use 2 x AA would last anywhere from a couple of weeks to 6 months on a pair of batteries, without turning the mouse off. The Orochi will drain a pair of batteries in a couple of days if left on. You basically have to turn this mouse on every time you use it and off every time you finish. Even doing this, expect to replace the batteries every couple of weeks. Razer evidently didn't put a sleep mode on the mouse. As such, I can not recommend this mouse at all for wireless usage when considering the other limitations mentioned above. If you want an extremely small wired mouse for gaming, this could be a good option.

EDIT 2: I didn't want to bump such an old thread, but as pointed out by the poster below, Razer did at least update the Technical Specifications page to reflect the DPI issue. This is a heavily revised version of the page compared to what was up for the pre-orders and the first few days after release.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the info.

I'm trying to justify buying this mouse over the salmosa. I plan to use it in wired mode on my desktop and know both mice are of similar size and weight.(you don't need the batteries in it while in wired mode correct?) Which one would you get?

I'll have to test later to see if it works without batteries if it is plugged in (seems like it should).

I would say get the Salmosa unless you want the higher sensitivity (4000dpi) of the Orochi. To use the Orochi on a desktop in wired mode, you would need a usb extension cable as the Orochi usb cable is only a couple of feet long.

Not sure if the page has changed since your preorder, but the Technical Specifications page clearly lists the two DPI's in the two corresponding modes.

Back