Razer Mamba 4G

well i got mine a few hrs ago...

its got a nice feel, currently using it using the USB and charging, dled firmware.

ill keep my fingers cross.

It does work fine wired. Tried two PC's to attempt to charge battery, and no go. Razer was quick with the RMA, so it must be a known problem.

I got my replacement Mamba 4G in the mail earlier this week. My original one had some "problems" wherein I think it missed a click every so often. I thought it was due to poor firmware or drivers but when I talked to Razer about it they suggested an RMA. Since I had just bought it I RMA'd it through newegg (and in the process actually got $10 refunded because the price dropped briefly), I figured I'd give Razer one try at a defective mouse.

I also had the scroll issue but I think that's been pretty well confirmed to be a design flaw (at least in the software/firmware) as it occurs on every system- drivers or no, Mac or PC, etc. I am pretty sure Razer is aware of this problem.

When I got my new mouse, I purposefully did not upgrade the firmware to 1.04 as I believe that the 1.04 firmware may be the cause of some of the problems I was having. So far using it with the 1.02 firmware (v2.00 drivers), operationally it is fine. I do not notice any missed clicks and the cursor response is just fine. No disconnects, not that I really ever had that problem previously though.

The one problem I DO have is that it seems like if I put my computer to sleep the dock will not come back when I wake the computer again. I have to unplug the USB cable and plug it in again in order for the dock to re-register with the system, and give me use of my mouse again. I am pretty sure that upgrading to 1.04 fixes this issue but I'm worried about getting the clicking problems. Is it possible to "downgrade" firmware or will the 1.02 firmware installer detect a newer firmware and not allow you to proceed? If I know I can downgrade, I'd test 1.04 out again but for now I think I'm just going to keep it as-is, and hope for a software/firmware update in the future.

PS my new 4G also has the scroll problem. It only affects browsing though and I don't browse much on this PC so it's not a big issue to me.

Ruahrc

any of you guys have the problem where the cursor randomly jumps to one end of the screen?

shown on this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oBLh0N83Tk
Nope, mine works as it should [granted, I don't have the drivers installed].

I also had the scroll issue but I think that's been pretty well confirmed to be a design flaw (at least in the software/firmware) as it occurs on every system- drivers or no, Mac or PC, etc. I am pretty sure Razer is aware of this problem.

When I got my new mouse, I purposefully did not upgrade the firmware to 1.04 as I believe that the 1.04 firmware may be the cause of some of the problems I was having. So far using it with the 1.02 firmware (v2.00 drivers), operationally it is fine. I do not notice any missed clicks and the cursor response is just fine. No disconnects, not that I really ever had that problem previously though.
Chopped up your post just so I could hit the points, sorry :\

No scroll issue here [no drivers], so idk what to tell you :(

You can't downgrade firmware to my knowledge, so if you're happy on 1.02, stay there for now. I for one get pretty inconsistent drop outs with wireless if I have the drivers installed [FW 1.04], but without the drivers I'm fine. :\

You really don't have the scrolling issue?

Go to a website or wherever that requires you to scroll. Take your hand off the mouse for about 15 secs, and let it sit idle. Next, scroll the wheel down several "swipes" but be extra careful to not move the mouse while doing so. You should notice that after letting the mouse idle for 10-15 secs, the scroll wheel no longer responds. But, then if you move the mouse cursor the scroll commands suddenly "take effect" and the screen jumps down however far you scrolled. This seems a bit convoluted but in reality many times when people read longer documents/webpages, they will sit with their hand on the mouse but not moving it for 10-15 seconds, and then proceed to scroll but still not moving the cursor. In this situation you get no response from the scroll wheel, then a sudden jump when you move the mouse.

It's like the mouse enters a low-power mode (that is separate from the "sleep" timer in the software) and saves up scroll commands, but does not actually transmit them to the computer until it is "woken up" by moving the cursor.

I have seen this on 3 computers, 2 PCs and 1 Mac (which didn't have drivers either). It seems to be inherent to the mouse.

You really don't have the scrolling issue?

Go to a website or wherever that requires you to scroll. Take your hand off the mouse for about 15 secs, and let it sit idle. Next, scroll the wheel down several "swipes" but be extra careful to not move the mouse while doing so. You should notice that after letting the mouse idle for 10-15 secs, the scroll wheel no longer responds. But, then if you move the mouse cursor the scroll commands suddenly "take effect" and the screen jumps down however far you scrolled. This seems a bit convoluted but in reality many times when people read longer documents/webpages, they will sit with their hand on the mouse but not moving it for 10-15 seconds, and then proceed to scroll but still not moving the cursor. In this situation you get no response from the scroll wheel, then a sudden jump when you move the mouse.

It's like the mouse enters a low-power mode (that is separate from the "sleep" timer in the software) and saves up scroll commands, but does not actually transmit them to the computer until it is "woken up" by moving the cursor.

I have seen this on 3 computers, 2 PCs and 1 Mac (which didn't have drivers either). It seems to be inherent to the mouse.

Guess I got an oddball. I let it sit for two minutes belly up [went into sleep mode within 30 seconds though], so no motion would be picked up, I just let it sit as I played with the laptop...

Picked up the mouse from the bottom, so it never kicked on since the sensor had nothing to track but air, all lights off, total sleep mode. Scrolled and it worked without issue. Instantly started scrolling. :\

edit: Well, sleep or standby mode, idk, the lights totally powered down. I let it sit for 2 minutes. I'm not even sure what "mode" it was properly in, I honestly don't recall what the Driver Software called it so I'm at your mercy for word choice here :(

Last edited:
I received mine of 10/22. It had driver 2.00 and firmware 1.04 installed. Todate it has worked flawlessly.

So just how bad is the load time for the razer drivers that many of the reviews seem to complain about?

So just how bad is the load time for the razer drivers that many of the reviews seem to complain about?

If you use the tray icon to swap profiles, once you have made them. It is pretty instant. Loading the software while in wired mode is meh. About 10 seconds. Wireless about 30 seconds. DO NOT TOUCH THE MOUSE when loading the software. Makes it much faster.

Add on the fact that if you delete the profiles you don't use, the loading goes a lot faster. It only takes like 10 seconds if you just have 1 profile.

I think the loading of the software issue is quite overblown. Yes, it's not as fast as opening the mouse properties in the control panel, but I mean once you set up your mouse, how often do you actually dive into the drivers? Heck you could theoretically uninstall the drivers once you have it set up the way you like, since all the setup information is written to a flash chip in the mouse itself.

And yes not moving the mouse makes the loading much faster in wireless mode. I think either the bandwidth is cut down because of the position data being transferred, or the software simply waits until the mouse is idle to transfer the profile data.

This is when the software loads on windows startup right? Thanks for the responses.

I love my Mamba. I had the original and just got the 2012 (about a week ago). I am on the newest firmware and have had 0 problems with it. I install the software long enough to make the changes I want and uninstall it. The load times are just silly, and the software doesn't need to be open anyway.

I love my Mamba. I had the original and just got the 2012 (about a week ago). I am on the newest firmware and have had 0 problems with it. I install the software long enough to make the changes I want and uninstall it. The load times are just silly, and the software doesn't need to be open anyway.

didn't know you could do that, thanks!

This is when the software loads on windows startup right? Thanks for the responses.

No it's only when you actually open the software to make changes to your mouse settings.

There is a tray icon/software that loads up on boot, but it doesn't take long to load, no more so than any other little tray icon software.

However, crawlgsx is right you don't need to have the software loaded to use the mouse, in fact you can uninstall it altogether if you wish, since the configuration settings are saved within the mouse itself (which I really like because then no matter where you use the mouse, it behaves the same). Me I just turned off the loading on boot, so in case I want to go back and change something, I still have the software loaded.

PS if you guys didnt' know, MS has a free utility called "autoruns" that is great for controlling what runs and what doesn't at boot. It seems to work better than msconfig IMO, as it seems to find programs/extensions that don't show up in MSConfig.

Ruahrc

Thanks for the info Ruahrc. I'm looking to pic up a Mamba 2012 tomorrow to replace my aging G9x. I just got the BlackWidow Ultimate keyboard tonight and friggen love it. I'm really impressed by the build quality, and how good Razers support has been.

Just wanted to chime in. I got my Mamba 2012 today and updated the dock and mouse firmware, after about 20 minutes i had the random signal drop/disconnect. Downloaded autoruns, disabled a ton of stuff that was autorunning (had no idea!) also disabled the Mamba config utility. Been going for hours now with not a single drop. Very odd. BUT the mouse is incredible and I do love it!!!

Anyone using this on a Mac? I noticed that the 2012/4G Mamba has full driver/software support where the original Mamba only had basic support on the Mac. I currently have the original Mamba, and may consider upgrading just for the full driver/software support and improved battery life.

I have a 2011 15" MacBook Pro here and a 2009 27" iMac I can test on for you. Both are i7's (sandbridge vs. 970 obviously).

Anyone using this on a Mac? I noticed that the 2012/4G Mamba has full driver/software support where the original Mamba only had basic support on the Mac. I currently have the original Mamba, and may consider upgrading just for the full driver/software support and improved battery life.

Just tried it on both of my Macs, works flawlessly and tracks as beautifully as ever. I noticed no snapping off screen (even when moving it erratically all over the place) and the drivers installed fine. All of my systems are running Lion 10.7.2 with all updates. I even left Bluetooth on for my keyboard, magic mouse, and trackpad. No interference at all. :D:cool:

I have a 2011 15" MacBook Pro here and a 2009 27" iMac I can test on for you. Both are i7's (sandbridge vs. 970 obviously).

I would really appreciate that. I have a 2011 27" iMac with an i5 and right now with the original Mamba and basic driver/software I can only adjust the following settings:

Current Sensitivity
Enable independent X-Y sensitivity
Acceleration
Polling Rate
Scroll Wheel and Battery Indicator lights (on or off)

Also, in order for me to change any of these settings I have to use the mouse in wired mode. Would be interested to know if these settings can be changed via wireless with the new mouse/software.

I would really appreciate that. I have a 2011 27" iMac with an i5 and right now with the original Mamba and basic driver/software I can only adjust the following settings:

Current Sensitivity
Enable independent X-Y sensitivity
Acceleration
Polling Rate
Scroll Wheel and Battery Indicator lights (on or off)

Also, in order for me to change any of these settings I have to use the mouse in wired mode. Would be interested to know if these settings can be changed via wireless with the new mouse/software.

Oh man, you are going to love this! The Mamba 2012 app allows you to change EVERYTHING, completely wirelessly! It's basically the same amount of adjustments and controls for the PC version! Profiles, DPI, lighting intensity, firmware updates, etc. I don't see a setting here that I don't see on my Win7 gaming rig. :D:D

The same app provides the same features on both the 2011 and 2009 macs I have.

Some screenshots for you sir!

wnT9S.png

JiYmU.png

You get the idea... :)
R3L2u.png

Oh man, you are going to love this! The Mamba 2012 app allows you to change EVERYTHING, completely wirelessly! It's basically the same amount of adjustments and controls for the PC version! Profiles, DPI, lighting intensity, firmware updates, etc. I don't see a setting here that I don't see on my Win7 gaming rig. :D:D

The same app provides the same features on both the 2011 and 2009 macs I have.

Thank you very much! You have been extremely helpful. I think that alone would be reason enough to upgrade! If you haven't seen the basic software, well this is what I have been working with...
mambabasic.png

And everything is greyed out since i'm not connected via the wire.

Thank you very much! You have been extremely helpful. I think that alone would be reason enough to upgrade! If you haven't seen the basic software, well this is what I have been working with...
mambabasic.png

And everything is greyed out since i'm not connected via the wire.

Oh wow...yeah I took all of those screenshots completely wireless! :D I could adjust everything, just like on the PC.

It's my pleasure to help. This community has been amazingly helpful to me over the past 6 years, love to give back when I can!

Happy hunting :)

Bump in the night.

Ok. Razer sent me a new mouse via RMA about 3 weeks ago. My battery would not charge on 1st mouse I purchased. After three weeks the exact same thing is happening to this new mouse. Battery will not hold a charge. Works perfectly fine wired.

At this point I want to rule out my equipment. I have swapped USB ports on my gaming rig, and used a different PC. No go. Battery will not charge. Is there anything else I can try? What other trouble shooting is there?

RMA question. Does the warranty start new with the RMA of this new mouse? Will I have issues with razer trying to return/replace THIS mouse since it has been well over 90 days on the initial purchase?

I have tried all I can to give Razer chances, and have given up on them at this point. ANY way I can just get a refund?

Does a razer rep visit this board? This is just getting silly.

Just an update on my Mamba 2012. In case someone runs across this issue.

Come to find out I was not turning the mouse off during charging. My first thought was, wtf SHOULD I have to turn the mouse off. But sure 'nuff...It works. Charged both batteries (they sent me a replacement) no problem. And the mouse works just fine turned off in wired mode.

I was using a deathadder for the past few weeks, but I bought a Corsair M60 yesterday and the Razer is going back. I am racking up twice as many points in BF3 since switching...

Just an update on my Mamba 2012. In case someone runs across this issue.

Come to find out I was not turning the mouse off during charging. My first thought was, wtf SHOULD I have to turn the mouse off. But sure 'nuff...It works. Charged both batteries (they sent me a replacement) no problem. And the mouse works just fine turned off in wired mode.

This is odd to say the least. I never turn mine off to charge it. I just sit it on the stand or plug it in and it charges fine. I did the same thing with older Mamba I had and again no problems.

I have always turned mine off when charging.

While you shouldn't HAVE to, it is always better for the battery anyway if you do. No point in it sucking juice down (regardless of how fast) while you aren't using it.

I had some FPS issues with my razer at first, but after plugging in my old school logitech and messing with settings until the speed was similar, I now feel just as comfortable.

Can you guys tell me what type + color is the mouse pad you're using?

I've read the Mamba works better on white pads...

I usually prefer to use black cloth pads and apparently the Mamba doesn't behave too well with those?

Thanks.

The Razer Destructor mousepad works fine with the Mamba, but i have the first edition, not the 2012 version. I will hopefully soon buy the new Razer Scarab pad as I really luved the Destructor.

I've used the 4G fine on my old Icemat (black glass), didn't notice any issues. Currently using it on a Steelseries SX (black anodized aluminium) without any issues either.

Can you guys tell me what type + color is the mouse pad you're using?

I've read the Mamba works better on white pads...

I usually prefer to use black cloth pads and apparently the Mamba doesn't behave too well with those?

Thanks.

Mamba works fine on my Goliathus Control and on my Scarab. Makes no difference, seems to track perfectly on both :)

there's few days old 1.07 firmware on Razer site, release notes at bottom

Also waiting G700 to come (should be next week) then I'll have Mamba 2012 and G700 to play with and decide which one I prefer/works better in my wireless heavy environment

I was using Mamba for like 3 weeks and issues with connection stability were so severe and often I decided to RMA it and replacement (new boxed one, good job from Razer support) just arrived, haven't even unboxed it..

if G700 will prove superior than my previous Razer experience I may not even test Mamba but just sell boxed set

Release Log:

- Mouse Firmware: v1.07.01.
- Dock Firmware: v1.07.00.

1. Sensor calibration is set to OFF by default.
2. Made sure that default settings are loaded when creating a new profile.
3. Fixed issue in wireless mode where scroll wheel doesn't work immediately if left idle for sometime.
4. Fixed LED issues: Inconsistent toggling effect during restart and switch profile, blinking effect on restart.

Note: Compatible with Razer Mamba 2012 only.

and so Mamba goes back to store, no issues at all with G700 on Razer Ironclad mousepad, neither with tracking nor wireless connection/lag

Back