razer imperator

Keep in mind there is a G9 and a G9x, I got the G9x and I hear the G9 tracking is not so great but the G9x is supposed to be the best. It was also $99 at BestBuy so it had better be..

LOL the G9 tracking is fine, I have a G9 and G500 sitting right here along with a G5. If anything, the G5's tracking isn't that great compared to the newer mice. It doesn't do very well on my cloth mouse pad while the G9 and G500 do not flinch.

Oh, alright then. I've never used a G9 so all I can go off of is what I hear, but I just wanted to make sure the other guy knew the G9 != G9x and supposively the G9x is better.

I really like this mouse. It was an upgrade from a Salmosa and that was a move from a Logitech nano.

Here's the wierdness though. I usually don't use a mousepad. I decided to try it out getting a no frills Steeleseries mini mousepad. But leaving the Imperator alone, the cursor floats all over the place like mad haha. I tried stretching out the mousepad which came packaged rolled up and that helped a little but there was still some floating around. Removing the mousepad, the cursor is fixed as a rock.

Is this par for the course for high dpi mice on less than stellar mouse pads?

I really like this mouse. It was an upgrade from a Salmosa and that was a move from a Logitech nano.

Here's the wierdness though. I usually don't use a mousepad. I decided to try it out getting a no frills Steeleseries mini mousepad. But leaving the Imperator alone, the cursor floats all over the place like mad haha. I tried stretching out the mousepad which came packaged rolled up and that helped a little but there was still some floating around. Removing the mousepad, the cursor is fixed as a rock.

Is this par for the course for high dpi mice on less than stellar mouse pads?

Not really, I think it's the laser that razor mice use. I have a razor mamba that did the same thing on cloth . if you let it just sit there the the cursor would just travel all the way across the screen if you let it. My logitech G5 has the same DPI setting and it doesn't do that when using cloth.

Really? For this pricepoint, that's somewhat inexcusable in my opinion.

To be clear, is it because the mousepad is cloth? On the solid, higher end mousepads, it would not do this? What I find odd is that on my wooden desk, it doesn't move at all. Do people just bear with it??

To be clear, is it because the mousepad is cloth? On the solid, higher end mousepads, it would not do this? What I find odd is that on my wooden desk, it doesn't move at all. Do people just bear with it??

I think it is with the laser and how it reacts to the cloth. Once i got a hard pad for it
it was fine. as far as that goes. The mamba was a big let down for me because of several other issues with it in general. I passed it down to my wife so it's not a total loss.

I have seen others have this Issue with razor mouses. but don't know if it happens to everyone so really cant comment on if people just bearing with it or not. I couldn't.

Clothpad user here. Never had this happen with my Imperator or Naga, which use the same laser.

G9 is about to give up the ghost...

Anyone using the Imperator with the Razer Destructor mousepad? Just wondering how it will track

I got this mouse. I'm very picky, upgrading from a Logitech MX510. The shape is great, very comfortable. Tracking is fantastic. The blue glow is awesome, and can be turned off. Clicks are nice and sensitive. Mouse wheel click is a good pressure, and can be hit from the side with the LMB finger, which is a great little detail. Wheel movement is smooth with nice detents. Adjustable forward/back buttons make it slightly more comfortable to use. Pinky grip is great! Mouse cord seems a little stiff, but doesn't bother me more than any other mouse. Any mouse with a cord is going to be a little annoying at times. I use a teflon coated mousepad (yes, just like your pots and pans) and the tracking is great.

Well my Imperator started drifting even without the cloth mousepad just sitting on my desk. Ack.

so does the drifting come from lifting the mouse up off the surface??

No the drifting is just letting the mouse sit there untouched.

This is kinda lame. I hope I still have the receipt so I can return it and just go back to the Salmosa.

G9 is about to give up the ghost...

Anyone using the Imperator with the Razer Destructor mousepad? Just wondering how it will track

I have this setup and LOVE IT!

The only issue I've had is the mouse quit working twice as if it lost power from the USB port in the three months I've had it. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and its fine. So it could be a MB/OS or mouse issue. I'm leaning USB port since its been about a months since it last happened. I may have changed ports but don't recall now.

lols ... after getting a "have you updated your drivers and firmware" response from Razer "tech support," I get this boilerplate deuce ...

Hello,

The Razer Imperator is a very sensitive device, especially at high resolutions. If the mouse is operated near a source of vibration (hard drive, table fan, sub-woofer etc) the sensor may pick up these vibrations as movement, causing the cursor to slowly drift.
This effect may be made worse with a "springy" mouse pad, which may amplify the amount of movement experienced.

I'm sending my Imperator to Caltech so they can better predict earthquakes.

Great looking mouse. My G25 is wearing out. Might replace it with this mouse.

That design is an eyesore to me for some reason; I appreciate the Logitechs for their form factor and Razer for theirs, but something about this just makes it look like a horrendous mish mash of both. Obviously my opinion isn't shared much around here, but it's one of those things that I can't shake.

Been looking into a new mouse and have wanted the mamba for ages, but that price point sure doesn't look like it's coming down anytime soon...

For some reason the imperator feels like is much sensitive to mouse lift than my G9 or Deathadder ever were. I'm not particularly hot about this as I'm a very low sensitivity user and so lifting the mouse is an absolutely core part of the process.

I wonder if this will pass as I get used to it, otherwise I'll just swap it for something more decent.

Make sure you flash to the latest firmware. Test it on the desktop: note that the pointer will deflect down right when you lift the mouse from a static position, but if you are moving the mouse left/right/up/down as you lift the pointer doesn't deflect. Overall it shouldn't be a problem, but if you think you are still seeing a problem then you will have to trade the mouse for one with an Avago laser, or choose an optical mouse (optical is perfectly fine, just can't do silly dpi like laser)

Last edited:
Only issue is see with Imperator is the shiny material used on sides for thumb finger rest. After longer usage, it looks like it gets greasy. I currently have G5 and the "rubberish" material used it is no issue.

Yep, the gloss grip is high maintenance. It's nice to touch but it does get icky quite quickly, I've now come to agree that textured plastic is the way to go. The top of the Imperator and the TactX stay much cleaner in the long term.

Mine sits in it's box after figuring out why I had trouble hitting targets.

The Philips Twin-Eye sensor is capable of tracking on the Z-axis, which all other sensors currently used in mice are unable to do so as far as I know. This is where the lift issue comes from causing the cursor to go diagonally right and downwards. I also noticed something else when using this mouse, and that is it doesn't get along with soft surfaces.

When using a soft pad, varying pressure from your hand resting on the mouse to clicking the buttons causes the distance between the sensor and the surface to vary. This makes the cursor move up and down diagonally. Try it for yourself if you have a cloth pad, just make sure the mouse doesn't slide. If you have a solid pad or just use your desk, you won't see this problem. It's worth mentioning for the guys that like cloth pads though.

i took mine back, its the first razer mouse that i really didnt like at all....it had too much acceleration even when set to zero, i was constantly overshooting everything. i gave it a few days but couldnt get used to it and thought the driver was lacking also so back it went.

Back