Razer Diamondback Plasma LE

Drucifer

Gawd
When I came home tonight from work, that abso-freaking-lutely beautiful mouse was up on the monitor screen. Along with a note from my wife. The note said "See Me."

So I did. She handed me the credit card (she runs the money in the house... I can't balance a checkbook to save my life), and said... "Pre-order it. Now." So I did... and now I am anxiously awaiting a shipping email in May.

Of course, this got me to thinking about the [H], and I was just wondering who else of us here has pre-ordered this thing? Or, am I the only one who has shelled out the $65.00 to preorder it from the Razer site?

For our under-the-rock-dwelling-friends, here is a link: http://www.razerzone.com/products/products_diamondbackplasma-le.php

Yeah, it looks good. But $65 for a mouse? My god... How much better can it be than your old one?

My old mouse is a Memorex mx4200, white, optical POS I bought at BB 3 years ago for like $12. It is junk, let me tell you. It is the only beige/white component left in my rig... so, at least from her POV, it'll match. :)

Meh, it looks cool. But it seems too much like the Abit Fatal1ty boards and Corsair XMS Pro lines: looks over function. I couldn't bring myself to pay $65 for some lightass wired mouse. I like my mice with some weight in them.

wow 65$?? hehe that's alot of money for a mouse...me? save that money up for a new system hehe...

MX1000 doesn´t perform even close to it though. However it´s more of a gaming mouse then desktop mouse to be honest.

I was so close to buying a razor about a year ago. Then I realized that I couldn't stand twitch shooters anymore.

So here I sit with an MX510. Definitely not as cool looking as that plasma, but a whole bunch cheaper. Plus it suits my computing environment.

If I still played FPSes, I'd be all over a diamondback :D

Drucifer said:
My old mouse is a Memorex mx4200, white, optical POS I bought at BB 3 years ago for like $12. It is junk, let me tell you. It is the only beige/white component left in my rig... so, at least from her POV, it'll match. :)

fair enough :)

oqvist said:
MX1000 doesn´t perform even close to it though. However it´s more of a gaming mouse then desktop mouse to be honest.
Yeah, it MX1000 leaves it in the dust. I've used both an MX1000 is vastly superior IMO. It may have been the settings, but the diamondback felt too squirilly. Not good for small adjustments.

staying on topic... i did pre-order this mouse also.. ive used mai friends diamondback, and it was the best mouse i have ever used for video games..

shadowbreaker513 said:
Meh, it looks cool. But it seems too much like the Abit Fatal1ty boards and Corsair XMS Pro lines: looks over function. I couldn't bring myself to pay $65 for some lightass wired mouse. I like my mice with some weight in them.

this mouse has a good balance.. its not light as a feather, but it doesnt have the drag that the logitech mice seem to have.. the sensitivity and the precision are better than any other mouse i have used.. and no this mouse is not looks over function, its looks with function.. although i do have to agree that some companies are just re-releasing products that are more fanciful, but lacking in additional features

I'm not saying this mouse is bad, just that it isn't worth the price, and I personally don't find them very good. I do think too many people bash the MX1000 with rumors started by disgruntled Diamondback owners though. Like the whole thing with lag when the mouse is lifted; 1) It is only even halfway noticable when the battery is low, and 2) If your mouse is calibrated correctly, you rarely if ever lift it anway. Also they say the MX1000 has lag. I've used WIRED mice with more lag than the MX1000.

DaSmurf said:
So here I sit with an MX510. Definitely not as cool looking as that plasma, but a whole bunch cheaper.

Are you serious?

Man, that thing looks cheap and tacky to me. I much prefer the smooth contours and bowling ball red finish of my MX510 to that thing.

shadowbreaker513 said:
Yeah, it MX1000 leaves it in the dust. I've used both an MX1000 is vastly superior IMO. It may have been the settings, but the diamondback felt too squirilly. Not good for small adjustments.

Well I wasn´t really clear with my statement. I meant the Diamondback is more of a gaming mouse on desktop it´s a bit twitchy :) You can turn the sensitivity down of course but then you loose the 1600 DPI :).

However the MX1000 is too slow. It really lags so you loose accuracy with it in games.

looks like its the same specs as the mx518

Mx518 specs:
• Image Processing: 5.8 megapixels/second
• “On-the-fly” sensitivity adjustment to 1,600, 800, and 400-dpi resolution
• Resolution: 1600-dpi native, adjustable to 400- and 800-dpi
• 5.8 megapixel/second image processing
• Acceleration: 15 g
• Throughput: 16 bit/axis USB data format, and 125/sec USB report rate
• Expanded 16-bit data format supports blazing fast moves with pure precision

ManCannon said:
smooth contours and bowling ball red finish of my MX510 to that thing.
Yeah, I have a blue one m'self and it's pretty sechseh. Just got an MX518 for shits and giggles and it is fugly by comparison. Looks like Swiss gunmetal. Love the dpi tweakage on it though.

the mouse uses an Infrared sensor, there is supposed to be some issue with it. its not as responsive as the ordinary DB.

Bleed said:
the mouse uses an Infrared sensor, there is supposed to be some issue with it. its not as responsive as the ordinary DB.
Figures, I haven't seen any really bright infrared T1-3/4 bulbs and in order to be truly invisible, it would have to be well over 740nm I think and the farther away from 650nm the light gets, the less sensitive the sensor is to it (I thought of modding a mouse to use an invisible IR bulb but they just aren't bright enough). They should've used a blue LED to illuminate the surface rather than a bunch of small ones to light up the body with an IR surface illuminator. Bright blue LED's tend to be more expensive than other colors, but so are the brightest IR ones IIRC.

There is no difference at all in performance :). It´s a blue Diamondback that´s all :)

And yes same sensor as MX518.

I know that the Razer mouses are great, but do the make one with more than 3 buttons (counting wheel? I ask because I personally love using my Intellimouse's sidebuttons to go foward/back in my browsers and also for chatting programs like ventrilo, but if Razer ever made a 5 button gaming mouse I'd switch over in a heartbeat.

Sweet looking mouse though. :)

It´s a 7 botton currently but in reality I find it to still be a 3-button mouse. Now I have a Nostromo N52 so no issues for me.

But apart from that you in real life will only be able to use the two buttons on one side they are quite small and the is hard to remap.

Now the Razer drivers allows for macros and that kind of stuff however the drivers are still in Beta stage and you may find you get better button functionality without the drivers.

Drivers is one thing Logitech does better even though the sensivity bar the DB gives you is better than the sound que Logitech uses when changing sense.

But really DB is for me a max 5 button mouse. Most oftly 4 but sometimes 3.

I already have a Diamondback, the green one, otherwise I would have ordered one of those.

I pretty much thought so also, which is why I didn't even hesitate to pre-order it. I know the Logitech mice are the same spec-wise, but I REALLY wanted a blue mouse, and that seemed to be the only one I could find that had a shape to it I liked.

I used a friend's Diamondback a while back, and it fit my hand perfectly. Plus, it was soooo responsive, that I knew, if they ever could get one in blue, I would be all over it like skin on chicken. :)

Yeah, 65 bucks is a bit much to spend on a mouse... but when she's paying, I'm all about it. :)

***All experience relies without the drivers installed. Thus an MX510 would run at 400 CPI while the Diamondback would run at 800 CPI.***

The Razer Diamondback is doable in any form, whether it be gaming or desktop. It's overall smoother and is more precise.

I couldn't bring myself to pay $65 for some light ass wired mouse.

The price tag is purely for cosmetic value and does not degrade any form of functionability or performance. The lightness of it is crucial to how you twitch/move your mouse, depending on the style of your gameplay.

2) If your mouse is calibrated correctly, you rarely if ever lift it anway.

That's based on your own limited gaming. A majority of FPS players will not find the MX1000 fitting for them (it's already been discussed over at ESR). That's because they do indeed lift it up. Players like uNkind and others from Q3 always lift their mouses up.

Also they say the MX1000 has lag. I've used WIRED mice with more lag than the MX1000.

I'm not sure if that's a hint of sarcasm. It's not possible for a wired mice to be laggier than a wireless one. The least laggiest a wireless mice can reach is of equivalence to a wired mice. It may be on your own experience that it is laggier. But since it's not possible, I will conclude that you must've used a poor system or did not install/use it properly.

Man, that thing looks cheap and tacky to me. I much prefer the smooth contours and bowling ball red finish of my MX510 to that thing.

The fact is that the mouse is made of quality parts. Everything you've said was purely opinion. Thus your comment was entirely pointless.

There is no difference at all in performance. It´s a blue Diamondback that´s all

QFT-- Fact.

If Razer ever made a 5 button gaming mouse I'd switch over in a heartbeat.

It does have the forward and backward buttons. It's on the side. It's hard to see it however. It goes on both sides which makes it a 7 button mouse. However, the downside to those buttons is that it's not comfortable to use. For my experience, it pretty much feels like a three button mouse. Then again, it's for gaming so that justifies the feeling. You have to adapt to this mouse if you want to use the side buttons.

Drivers is one thing Logitech does better.

I'm not sure if Logitech's drivers is even anything good. It's good for desktop use but in games, it's been known to force acceleration on your mouse, no matter what. Some users experience that, some don't. And some users have to apply a patch to fix it. And some users can't even fix it at all. It's very erratic. Hence the reason why I rather use both my MX510 and Diamondback without any drivers.

Perhaps all of you can wait a month or two so it can drop into the mid $50's? I'm not too sure.

-J.

GeForceX said:
The fact is that the mouse is made of quality parts. Everything you've said was purely opinion. Thus your comment was entirely pointless.

Someone's opinions are pointless? What are you a communist?

:eek: Oops?

:p That's all I can say.

Edit: Just that his opinion was so blatant. I can respect his opinion but it wasn't constructive at all.

-J.

GeforceFX do you have any experience with say the MX518?

It´s the Razer drivers that force acceleration if you have it at any less then 10.

Also the Diamondback with or without driver is 1600 DPI as long as you have the windows sensitivity bar at the middle setting. Lowering it decreases the DPI and using higher makes windows interpolate and guess your mouse movements.

The Logitech MX518 does work as advertized the DB does not currently though it will be fixed you hope :)

As for buttons the side buttons are so hard to use you will probably only learn to use one of them. It takes to long time for me to try to use the other side buttons time you generally don´t have when playing games and it´s so easy hitting the wrong one.

However the 3 most important buttons are all better on the Diamondback. The large left and right buttons are more responsive than the MX518 and doesn´t stick and the mouse wheel is the best I have seen in a mouse ever.

oqvist said:
GeforceFX do you have any experience with say the MX518?

It´s the Razer drivers that force acceleration if you have it at any less then 10.

Also the Diamondback with or without driver is 1600 DPI as long as you have the windows sensitivity bar at the middle setting. Lowering it decreases the DPI and using higher makes windows interpolate and guess your mouse movements.

The Logitech MX518 does work as advertized the DB does not currently though it will be fixed you hope :)

As for buttons the side buttons are so hard to use you will probably only learn to use one of them. It takes to long time for me to try to use the other side buttons time you generally don´t have when playing games and it´s so easy hitting the wrong one.

However the 3 most important buttons are all better on the Diamondback. The large left and right buttons are more responsive than the MX518 and doesn´t stick and the mouse wheel is the best I have seen in a mouse ever.

Admittedly, no I don't have any experience with the MX518. ;)

Yes, the Razer drivers also force acceleration. Which is why I decided against using the drivers. What do you mean "less than 10" though?

I was told that it runs at 800 without drivers. I must be confused. So more power to me since I'm not using any drivers. ;) If it's the case, it must be better than the MX518 since it does NOT run at 1600 without drivers. The same way for their MX510 mouses-- it doesn't run 800 without the drivers. So in that case, the MX518 is not providing true 1600 performance (hardware). It's simply providing it by software. If I'm wrong, let me know.

You say the buttons are all better on the Diamondback? I don't know. It's more subjective. I've been using an MX510 for a year plus and I was used to how it felt. Then I moved to the Diamondback and had gripes with it. Why? Because with the MX510 I was able to rest my fingers on the buttons and click when needed. It wasn't the case for the Diamondback. Whenever I rested my fingers on them, it would click. It's that sensitive. I had to majorly adjust to not click whenever I rested my fingers on them. I had to adjust how I held the mouse. It was more like my palm rested on the body and my fingers arch on top of the buttons and my thumbs/pinky/ring fingers would hold the sides. It works well and increased my accuracy tenfold!

So maybe it is better. ;)

-J.

Shrug. Where's the evidence behind that?

In case you haven't read-- an MX518 pushes performance via software. The Diamondback pushes performance by hardware. Now re-think what you just said.

-J.

Both the MX518 and the DB gives full 1600 dpi without any drivers :). They use virtually the same sensor though the 518 has the one with jitter compensation fixed. You need Razer drivers or registry tweak to get rid of that on the Diamondback.

Now you must have gotten really strong fingers from your 510 days :). I don´t know how you hold the mouse if you doesn´t hold the middle buttons since they cover like 60 % of the top if not more :).

Maybe you got some oversensitive buttons the Razers QA is not the greatest. Me I stear with my two fingers and thumb really only letting my palm slightly touch the back of the mouse. I have it on the desk instead. But the rubbery and the grooves are great. You really need to be able to execute those button presses quickly. Kind of nice when you just have to shoot first to go out winning :).

But if you use Razers drivers and set sensitivity to 10 you get no acceleration and full 1600 dpi as long as the windows slider is in the middle.

That is why it´s recommended to leave it at 10 and lower sense in game.

GeForceX said:
Shrug. Where's the evidence behind that?

In case you haven't read-- an MX518 pushes performance via software. The Diamondback pushes performance by hardware. Now re-think what you just said.

-J.
Just my opinion based on owning both of them. They're both 1600 DPI driver independent.

Damn. I must be relying on ESR old info crap. How informative gamers can be there *sarcasm*. ;)

If they both are independent then sweet. :D Only thing left to worry of is the design and comfortability.

And I'll try out the driver for my Razer.

I'll try to post a picture of how I hold my mouse. But that sounds so dirty.

lol

-J.

Seeing they use the same sensor which both is 1600 dpi capable so I would call them native 1600 dpi mouse :).

Razer IS 1600 dpi without drivers 150 % certain. With the MX518 using the slightly newer I am not all certain about it but had the drivers installed for that one.

Eh, it's been confirmed that both are hardware-based sensors. So it really is 1600 fully powered. It wasn't the case with the MX510 though. But let's leave this issue to rest. ;)

-J.

Yep but isn´t you happy GeforceX I have helped you getting the facts straight ;)

Back