iLikeHeadphones Has a few good posts...
Carcharias Review.
2 days ago I took the Ferry to NYC and picked up the Carcharis at J&R music and computers (only place the sells it "in store")
I tested them out using my ipod and compared the to the HPX. I used the song by Sum 41 to test them out. I also used them with COD.
For a $70 headset these are very good.
SOUND: The Carcharias has more of an "airy" sound to them compared to the HPX, and the sound stage was noticeably larger. They have a very good balance of bass and clarity.
The HPX has more bass, while still having good clarity. But the Carcharias has more clarity when listening to vocals and still maintains good bass. Plain and simple they just sound clearer than the HPX.
SIZE: This headset can adjust huge, so it is good for people with large heads. I have a small head (7 1/8 hat size) But it still fits me fine. I dont have it adjusted to the very smallest setting, but almost.
COMFORT: The Carcharias is a very comfortable headset. They use a nice velvet material for the earpads. I especially like the headband because they use a very soft microfiber/silk material almost the same as the AD700s "wing" material. It didnt give me any headphone hair which was great. The earcups went completely around my ears, but the depth of the earcups wasnt that deep such as the A40s, so it doesnt engulf your ear. Its sort of like the HPX in terms of depth of the earpads, but had a loser fit which is much more comfortable than the HPX and my ears didnt touch the tips of the earpads like they did with the HPX.
BUILD QUALITY: The "paper clip" design is good. The resistance of the paper clip when adjusting the earcups up and down was good. The earcups didnt slide down the clip when using them. The paper clip itself is a very strong metal material and would be impossible to break or snap with your hands. The earcups are made of a strong plastic material which shouldnt break.
CON... MIC After all of this the biggest problem is the mic. The length of the mic is to short and it barley reached the corner of my mouith. This caused me to sound very quite when talking in a normal voice. I tried adjusting the mic close to my mouth but couldnt because its not that adjustable. The mic is made out plastic and rubber. Only the middle of the mic is rubber, so theres only so much you can adjust it. It goes, Plastic-rubber-plastic, so when trying to curve the beginning of the mic inward towards your mouth you cant because its plastic so it wont adjust. IMO the A40s still have the best mic in terms of responsiveness. (never uses pc 350s or 360s)
Unfortunately, this annoys me a lot so I will be returning them. Its a shame because everything else about the Carcharias is great. I will most likely buy the PC360s and see how they compare, but they're very expensive at $250 so they're going to have to be almost perfect in all aspects for me to keep them.
There's my review. Enjoy.
Carcharias Review.
2 days ago I took the Ferry to NYC and picked up the Carcharis at J&R music and computers (only place the sells it "in store")
I tested them out using my ipod and compared the to the HPX. I used the song by Sum 41 to test them out. I also used them with COD.
For a $70 headset these are very good.
SOUND: The Carcharias has more of an "airy" sound to them compared to the HPX, and the sound stage was noticeably larger. They have a very good balance of bass and clarity.
The HPX has more bass, while still having good clarity. But the Carcharias has more clarity when listening to vocals and still maintains good bass. Plain and simple they just sound clearer than the HPX.
SIZE: This headset can adjust huge, so it is good for people with large heads. I have a small head (7 1/8 hat size) But it still fits me fine. I dont have it adjusted to the very smallest setting, but almost.
COMFORT: The Carcharias is a very comfortable headset. They use a nice velvet material for the earpads. I especially like the headband because they use a very soft microfiber/silk material almost the same as the AD700s "wing" material. It didnt give me any headphone hair which was great. The earcups went completely around my ears, but the depth of the earcups wasnt that deep such as the A40s, so it doesnt engulf your ear. Its sort of like the HPX in terms of depth of the earpads, but had a loser fit which is much more comfortable than the HPX and my ears didnt touch the tips of the earpads like they did with the HPX.
BUILD QUALITY: The "paper clip" design is good. The resistance of the paper clip when adjusting the earcups up and down was good. The earcups didnt slide down the clip when using them. The paper clip itself is a very strong metal material and would be impossible to break or snap with your hands. The earcups are made of a strong plastic material which shouldnt break.
CON... MIC After all of this the biggest problem is the mic. The length of the mic is to short and it barley reached the corner of my mouith. This caused me to sound very quite when talking in a normal voice. I tried adjusting the mic close to my mouth but couldnt because its not that adjustable. The mic is made out plastic and rubber. Only the middle of the mic is rubber, so theres only so much you can adjust it. It goes, Plastic-rubber-plastic, so when trying to curve the beginning of the mic inward towards your mouth you cant because its plastic so it wont adjust. IMO the A40s still have the best mic in terms of responsiveness. (never uses pc 350s or 360s)
Unfortunately, this annoys me a lot so I will be returning them. Its a shame because everything else about the Carcharias is great. I will most likely buy the PC360s and see how they compare, but they're very expensive at $250 so they're going to have to be almost perfect in all aspects for me to keep them.
There's my review. Enjoy.