Razer Blade Refresh

viralcow

Limp Gawd
It's about time I replaced my 2 year old gaming laptop (G73JH) so I've been looking around.

And it looks like Razer updated their 17.3" laptop with a 3rd gen i7 and 2GB GTX 660M. (Still ridiculously expensive @ $2500). Link: http://www.razerzone.com/store/choose/razer-blade-r1

I used to laugh at the previous Blade b/c with the GT 550M/555M, the gaming performance wasn't any better than a $700 plastic jet engine.

But with the 660M it should be getting pretty good framerates on most modern games, right? And it looks so fcking sexy. Now I'm beginning to think it's worth it. Or should I just get a $1200 G75 which basically has the same specs for half the price?

I don't generally throw money away, so I'd probably get the G75. They can call it the Blade all they want, it's still a 17" laptop, not exactly the most portable thing in the world.
Or maybe a clevo based custom from mythlogic/xoticpc/malibal

Of course if you have the money to burn, don't let me stop you.

I don't generally throw money away, so I'd probably get the G75. They can call it the Blade all they want, it's still a 17" laptop, not exactly the most portable thing in the world.
Or maybe a clevo based custom from mythlogic/xoticpc/malibal

Of course if you have the money to burn, don't let me stop you.

Exactly. This thing could be 5cm thick and it would still have the general surface area and thickness of a 17" laptop. Anyone who has tried to schlep around a "gaming" laptop knows it's not really the weight that matters, but the volume and size of the laptop. It looks really cool, but no way I'm pay that premium when I could get a laptop with a GPU that is twice as fast e.g. 7970m/680m for much cheaper.

okay.JPG

Yeah, there's no way I could justify the $2500 price tag. I'll probably go with the G75; I've used RoG for 4+ years, and I see no reason to switch now.

perfect time to mod your g73

Never thought of this. You mean maybe upgrading to a 6970M? :D

No i mean upgrading to a 7970m

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1712582

it's like 425$ on ebay, enduro pre-flashed off, so could be a simple plug and play; however, this is unconfirmed. also, keep in mind you would need 180+ watt power supply and modified heatsink. but follow the thread and couple of users already have success.

Last edited:
Back