Rather unique Linux/XP dualbooting situation

allysan

n00b
Hello everyone,

I have a rather unique Linux/XP situation going on, and I'm hoping someone can help me out. What I've got is a single 40GB IDE drive with XP installed on it. Then I have a 320GB SATA drive with Ubuntu installed, but this drive is connected to the motherboard through a PCI RAID card because the motherboard did not have any SATA ports. If I remember correctly, the card is a Rosewill card, but if it's all that important I can check the documentation later.

Anyway, my question is this: What do I need to do (basically, how do I need to edit my grub.conf) to make it so I can dualboot these drives (the Linux drive is currently disconnected) without destroying my MBR? I'm plenty comfortable in a terminal and with hand editing config files, so that's not a problem, I'm just looking for a push in the right direction.

My bad, I missed the OSS subforum - if a mod could please move this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

First of all, you need to boot to the Ubuntu install with the XP drive attached. You should be able to choose the boot order in the motherboard's BIOS options.

Then, you need to figure out the location of your XP install as Linux sees it (HDx,x), and follow relevant walkthroughs.

Feel free to hit us up if there's something not explained well enough in there.

Back