Rather perplexing system problem

wfalcon

[H]ard|Gawd
A couple of weeks ago, my wife's main system decided to stop working without notice. However, our house had apparently taken a power hit, as all the clocks were reset. I do keep it on a surge protector. Anyway, it would not power on - no fans, nothing. Thinking of the simplest solutions first, I tried multiple outlets, power cables, etc. which were working fine with another computer to no avail. Perplexed, but not down, I put it off to the side for when I had more time. Enter today.

Wife's rig: C2D E6600, Asus P5NSLI, GeForce 8800GTS, 4x1GB DDR2, 600W PSU

Thinking the PSU was shot, I decided to take the system apart and remove the PSU from the equation completely. I then took the PSU from a working system (read mine), and hooked it up to hers. Ah ha! Success - fans were spinning. Thinking I had found my culprit, I then returned the PSU to my system. However, now my system has a problem. It powers on (fans spin), but will never POST. Thinking I had bumped something in the process, I verified connectivity with all the cables. Still nothing. Cleared CMOS (even though I wasn't tinkering in the BIOS) - nothing.

My rig: C2D E8500, Gigabyte P45 mobo, GeForce 260GTX, 2x2GB DDR2, 650W PSU

Now I'm rather pissed, as I have 2 systems down with no solution in sight. Is it possible that my wife's PSU was toast and that plugging in my PSU to her rig toasted it? I'm at my wit's end. Thanks.

Well, how about putting your PSU back to your wife's computer? Does that work again? You still have one working computer. If your PSU works on hers but not yours (anymore), then you should just leave it in her computer and get yourself a new one, if it has to come down to that route.

Well, how about putting your PSU back to your wife's computer? Does that work again? You still have one working computer. If your PSU works on hers but not yours (anymore), then you should just leave it in her computer and get yourself a new one, if it has to come down to that route.

Roger - after stepping away from the problem, that was the route I decided to take. Thanks.

Now time for some PSU shopping.

Back