Rate my gaming rig!

Joined
Sep 12, 2005
Messages
36
Hi guys I'm in the process of building a new rig for Starcraft 2. I was hoping I could get some input from you guys.

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423

CPU: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115225&cm_re=i7_930-_-19-115-225-_-Product

RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231225

HDD: Primary: Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167023
Secondary: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148337

Optical Drive: LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm having some trouble deciding on the: Video card

Graphics Card

For the video card, I am torn between the

nVidia GTX 260
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130434&cm_re=gtx_260-_-14-130-434-_-Product

versus the

nVidia GTX 465
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121383

My predicament is that I just want a rig that is sufficient enough to run SC2 at the ultra settings, but I don't need anything that is overkill. So which do you guys recommend?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for taking the time to look through my system specs! I appreciate any advice you guys can give me.
 
Is there any reason you are only considering nvidia gpu's?

I would think a 5850 would be great for this.
 
You're missing a PSU as well. Do you need a recommendation for that as well or are you reusing a PSU? Also, please answer the following questions:

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Where do you live?
6) Will you be overclocking?
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Though some notes right off the bat:
- Ditch the Antec 900. There are better cases for the money:
$70 - Cooler Master RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$70 - Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$80 - Cooler Master CM690 II ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$100 - Cooler Master HAF 922M RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$110 - Lian Li PC-E8B ATX Case
$110 - Lian Li PC-7FN ATX Case
$120 - Velocity Micro GX2-W Silver Classic Aluminum Case with Side Window

- You can shave off some money with this CPU + mobo combo:
$474 - Intel Core i7-930 CPU + Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R X58 ATX Motherboard Combo

- No matter what, the GTX 260 is a shitty buy for the money. There are significantly faster cards for the money. In addition, the only cost effective Nvidia card now is the GTX 470 when it's around $330 to $350.

EDIT: Oh, the HD 5770 performs about the same as the GTX 260 but uses less power and costs about $160. In the $200 price bracket, you can find the faster HD 4890 card. In the $300 price bracket, the HD 5850 is the better buy over the GTX 470. If the GTX 470 exceeds $350 in any way, it's a piss poor buy since the faster HD 5870 can be had for around $400.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you guys for your responses! I think I had forgot to mention that I have already have most of the parts because I got some really amazing deals for them.

I got the Antec 900 for only 50 bucks + a free DVD drive! (It was a newegg deal)

The only parts that I actually need are the Video card and both hard drives. (waiting for SSD drives to drop prices)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

xveganx: I only suggested nVidia gpu's because I've never worked with ATI cards before. I don't have much experience with them. But I am willing to invest some time into ATI cards if they're worth it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Danny Bui: Sorry, I totally forgot to post my PSU, as I was trying to write up the system specs ASAP.

PSU: Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan, Lifetime Warranty
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276567&SRCCODE=WEBLET03SHIP&cm_mmc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET03SHIP-_-03ship

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

-So far I have spent about $600-700 dollars on my build so far. This includes: psu, mobo, cpu, ram, case, dvd drive.

My budget for the video card ranges from $150-300 dollars. I hope that i have allotted enough for a sufficient GPU.

And I am just waiting for a slight price drop in SSD drives.

3) Where do you live?
-I live in CA

6) Will you be overclocking?
-No, I am simply building this computer mostly for Starcraft 2 to be played on max settings

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
-I currently have a 19 inch Viewsonic but I plan on upgrading to a 22+ monitor after I complete this build.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
-I was hoping to have this PC completely built by late July, but there's no rush.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lt_shiro: Thank you. I will look into this more.
 
Well you're gonna have to get a new PSU now. That Ultra PSU is a piece of shit. Barely capable of 350W of power under the best case scenarios. $15 would have been a more reasonable price than the $80 off Tigerdirect.

So I recommend the following combo:
$140 - Corsair 650TX 650W PSU + Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive Combo

You get a fast 1TB drive as well as a high quality PSU that's more than enough power for a Core i7 setup + HD 5850. Speaking of which, the only video card worth buying in that $300 range is the HD 5850:
$290 - XFX HD-585X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5850 1GB PCI-E Video Card

Whatever you do, do not use that Ultra PSU with any kind of gaming system. It's just a stupid idea.
 
Ultra has some good power supply units... but for the most part, avoid them if you're building a gaming system (heh, or any system, lol).
 
Thanks guys for the heads up on that crappy PSU. I got rid of it asap.

I figured out what I wanted to go regarding my video card. A recent deal allowed my budget to get dual video cards: :D
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Now I'm back to the question. What PSU should I get?
A single 5770 requires a minimum of 450 watts. If I Crossfire two of them, how much power would I need? As always, any recommendations are greatly appreciated!
 
I recommend this PSU:
$100 - XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W Modular PSU

More than enough for HD 5770 Crossfire
 
I had a 5850 and there were some boot issues, also theres problems with the catalyst 10. i went back to nvidia, less headaches but ati is the best bang for the buck when its working
 
Thanks everyone for your advice and input. I decided on this PSU

I'll be sure to report back and update you guys on my build. And again, thanks for all your help!
 
Back
Top