Rate limiting single hostmask

Soarin

2[H]4U
Okay so I am having issues with people on the network using netflix and not being courteous to others. Hence they are hogging the connection. When asked to watch lower quality they will not oblige and tell us to fuck off basically. Enough is enough. I been looking around and found this. http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.ratelimit.single.html How easy is this to do on a Linksys Wrt54Gl with DD-WRT. I have been told it is straight forward but I don't want to bork my router. I need to limit lan port 4 to no faster then 256kbps. The
reason I decided on that number is because we only have a 2-3.5mbps connection. It varies in that range. The clients using the most of the connection do not pay a dime to live here and have harped me many times to get the internet working for them out there. Since I have fixed it again our data usage has almost tripled at times.

My setup is like this.
Netgear is daisy chained to my linksys through port 4. The users in question all use the wifi network from the netgear.
[DD-WRT]-----------lan port 4------[netgear] ~~~~~~ wifi clients..
50ft ethernet cord

Last edited:
The clients using the most of the connection do not pay a dime to live here and have harped me many times to get the internet working for them out there.

I have a simpler solution for you. Tell them to fuck off and change the WiFi password. Let the freeloaders sort their own shit out. It's one thing to accept help graciously (assuming here), it's something entirely else to accept free help and then try to dictate terms.

If you really for some reason want to appease the freeloaders, an easier way would be to just log into the netgear, change it to B mode, and then set it's speed to 1 Mbps, which realistically is like 500 kbit.

also
http://markmaunder.com/2011/01/26/h...-your-room-mate-or-bad-office-colleague-uses/

Last edited:
Yup, with DD-WRT they basically have it all set up in the QOS to limit each port from full all the way down to 256K. I'd suggest giving that a shot, maybe 1Mbps, and see if you hear any bitching. If you do then you know it's working.

I did try that Liger88 and for some reason it is not seeming to work correctly. Canna the only issue is i do not pay for this service but yet I am the admin for it. It is a long story and a pain in the ass. Stressed out daily over it.Will look at that link. Router is only N or G. Cannot put it in B/1mbps.

Last edited:
Back