Rasterization methods employed by NVIDIA/AMD - David Kanter

Ieldra

I Promise to RTFM
Nice feature by David Kanter whose blog I thought was dead.

Tile-based Rasterization in Nvidia GPUs

Disclaimer:

By posting in this thread you agree to the following rules:

1. Thou shalt not fling shit.
2. Thou shalt stay on topic.
3. Thou shalt not bring partisan rhetoric into this thread.
4. Thou shalt be grateful for genuine technical insights from blogs such as these.
5. Thou shalt not make useless posts.

Last edited:
I remember being really interested in the Kyro II article back in the day from Anandtech which dealt with tile-based rendering.

I wonder what hardware changes would be necessary to implement this on GCN if AMD can hope to compete with efficiency against Nvidia. Or if the shift to low level APIs will render this less ideal/necessary.

Disclaimer:

4. Thou shalt be grateful for genuine technical insights from blogs such as these.

You are funny :)

Disclaimer:

Posted this article over in the nVidia sub forum and thought it would drive more interest as tile rendering was always something that seemed like a great idea going back to the NEC PowerVR days. nVidia really has the best driver team in the business that they made this work so seamlessly that it's only coming to light now.

I thought we were doing this in the late 1990's with my 5500 3DFX cards? Or maybe it was one of those cards I had before that. I think I remember Radeon Pro having an option. Maybe SFR will make a full comeback next. ;) At any rate it's nice to see Nvidia making what was old; new again in a modern setting.

Reminds me of when years ago I read about the Dreamcast architecture and wondered why were weren't using something like that on PC's.

how much is hardware and how much software though?

The fact that it was transparent to most engines is definitely software, and it's quite impressive - although I'm convinced this isn't new information

The amd radeon driver in linux does 2D color tiling, don't know if it's the same technique David Kanter is talking about here.
Unfortunately, can't easily test the program on Linux because it uses visual studio & D3D/DirectX. :(
...unless someone has a compiled binary I can use, then I might be able to test it in wine.

Last edited:
Pretty cool info. Maybe AMD can 'glean' some ideas from this in their next GPU release.

Back