Raspberry Pi Sells Over 10 Million Computers

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
That’s pretty good for something that was only supposed to sell 10,000 and encourage people to study computer science at the University of Cambridge. The Pi remains the UK's best-selling computer ever.

To celebrate the 10-million-sold milestone, the foundation announced a £99 ($132) starter kit that comes with some of the add-ons that people tend to buy for the core product—am HDMI cable, a mouse and keyboard, a power supply, an SD card for the free downloadable Linux operating system, and a case. Oh, and an educational book aimed at helping younger users get started.

I'd call that pretty successful, but I am curious what percentage of them never even got started.

I still don't get it.
By an old PC for a fraction of the price and much faster.
Learn on that!

I still don't get it.
Learn on that!
Because some people want to learn on ARM instead of ancient x86 hardware.
Also, the Pi 2 and 3 models are quite a bit faster than anything from the Netburst era systems on back, use a fraction of the electricity, have a far more capable GPU, run cooler, are supported by modern devs and software, and are totally quiet compared to earlier systems like you are talking about.

A friend let me borrow his Pi and I was impressed for what it was. He had the mini keyboard/mouse combo that was kinda gimmicky but I hooked up a reg usb mouse and keyboard and was fine. HDMI out is the deal maker. You take a piece of sticky tape and stick it back of monitor and start browsing web and watching videos etc. For 35 bux and an SD card which most peeps have laying around anyways. I tried 3 or 4 different distros and all worked. There is a very large crowd of smart people out there that have done or can do most anything with them. It is pretty impressive.

And then you can start programming with it and controlling stuff like switches and motors etc.

If you haven't burned your brain out yet check one out for less than a video game.

They are for project makers I think mainly. Can't really fit an old PC inside a Gameboy, and sure as shit can't do it with new ones for 5 bucks (piZero)

I've done one with a Sega Nomad and a Pi2, I've got the parts coming in now to put one in a DMG model Gameboy, and I can't wait for when I'm ballsy enough to put one in an old DSi

Well now i know :)
I thought it was more about learning how to build a PC or install a Linux distro.
jthomas, the OP states that the starter pack is $132. I was going off that in what I could pick up in a used x86.

Well now i know :)
I thought it was more about learning how to build a PC or install a Linux distro.
jthomas, the OP states that the starter pack is $132. I was going off that in what I could pick up in a used x86.
Yea, you don't need all that extra stuff. There a couple of diff models including wifi equipped also.

I even think there is a way to install Win 10 IoT version but I could be wrong.

I personally use it for RetroPie... And KODI. Run great but for compiling it sucks big time. That's where you need some computing power and that little processor can't do jack shit on that. Playing old nes, mame, etc games work very well. Boots up fast and works like a little Linux box. If I could get it to run centos lets see how well cpanel or shoutcast works. Debian is good for some things but shoutcast no. I've also run php and apache on it, works fairly well. For $35 not bad. It's small and very quiet. It can get very hot at times but still impressive without a fan.

I personally use it for RetroPie... And KODI. Run great but for compiling it sucks big time. That's where you need some computing power and that little processor can't do jack shit on that. Playing old nes, mame, etc games work very well. Boots up fast and works like a little Linux box. If I could get it to run centos lets see how well cpanel or shoutcast works. Debian is good for some things but shoutcast no. I've also run php and apache on it, works fairly well. For $35 not bad. It's small and very quiet. It can get very hot at times but still impressive without a fan.

Index of /altarch/7/isos/armhfp

Pi 3 is only $35 for an ARM quad core and 40 GPIO pins. I'd rather have it than any used PC I can get for less than that.
This. The GPIO pins are what make the Pi fun and truly interesting. Price just makes it an impulse buy. :geek:

That is what I use them for aswell. Make excellent retro vid game boxes.

I have both a 2 & 3. The 2 will power my MagicMirror once I get around to it and the 3 was purchased for a RetroPi setup.

I still don't get it.
Learn on that!

You're overlooking the software and community side. There are other competing single board computers that are faster and full featured (also costing far more), but they don't have the software support and community doing all sorts of neat things with them.

Another way to look at it, in a classroom environment kids can mess with these and not break the classrooms desktop systems for the next hours computing class. Who on this board has ever had to reload their OS for whatever reason, for a Pi it's swapping out a micro sd and power cycling. They weren't meant to replace your typical desktop and laptop, or even smart phone or tablet.

The maker movement has taken to using these because they are standardized and cheap for projects that maybe broken, destroyed or stolen. A third of Pi's sold are purchased by companies for use in their own products, but you won't hear about them because it would give away their advantage to competitors.

There are other boards which are competative depending what you need. Unfortunately 'Tribalism' and marketing play a roll in preventing those from being given a chance.

My local MicroCenter was practically giving away Raspberry Pi Zero's this weekend. They were selling them for 99 cents. Unfortunately every one after that was $10 which was double price so I guess they were trying to discourage people from buying a shit ton of them and re-selling. However, they didn't stop me from going through the checkout line 5 times. :D

The Pi Zero's are practically throw away toys. Make single purpose gadgets with them with a full linux distro and some python programming. I was contemplating making a bunch of bluetooth connected appliances like lamps.

Yep, Kodi and Pimame. I have some USB drives loaded with movies and I take it with us when we go out of town. $7 remote control and instant media center. And if I get bored, Pimame and play Dig Dug.

There may have been 10 million sold but I doubt there are that many hardcore geeks who actually use them for more than an hour.

There may have been 10 million sold but I doubt there are that many hardcore geeks who actually use them for more than an hour.

I don't see that as a problem since they are supposed be cheap and easy to learn so your average kids can eventually become hardcore geeks or pass them along to someone who wants to be one. :)

Back