Raspberry Pi or Cubieboard Media Server/Mumble Server

TeeJay88

Limp Gawd
Hi folks, like most of you, I im in love with the idea of the Raspberry Pi and other similar devices, and have been trying to come up with a solid use for one before I bought one. Now I have found my use I would like to get one. I would like to install a light weight ubuntu distro and run a mumble server.

My intent is to install it in my pfsense case and power it off of the powersupply in the case since its always on. Now here is where I come to a crossroad. I would like to also run a small media server with xbmc. Raspberry pi doesn't have a sata port, the cubieboard does, but I've read that it can only normally power a 2.5 disk drive, but if it has access to a power supply why couldn't it run a 3.5in 7200rpm drive.

What are your opinions, the raspberry pi community is much larger but the cubieboard seems more robust.

From the Cubieboard FAQ

There is a SATA connector. What harddrives will work?
The onboard 5V SATA power connector is only capable to power 2.5" hard disk drives.
For 3.5" HDD usage you need a power supply that supplies 5V + 12V, and power the cubieboard from 5V and HDD from 5v + 12v.
The option of powering both separately from the same power supply is always possible.

So you are good there.This is the first time I am checking out the cubieboarrd and I this is more tempting to me than the Raspberry Pi.

Back