Raspberry Pi first batch

I had a chance to order one from newark.com, but I didn't feel like waiting a month and paying a $20 handling surcharge. Plus now that they announced the Model B will have 256MB of RAM and is already in production, I think I'd rather go with that anyway. That one is supposed to include the case and power adapter too.

Is it possible to set one of these Raspberry Pi's to play video on a hd tv off a network share or the SD card? Also can it play old game emulators like NES, SNES, PS1?

Is it possible to set one of these Raspberry Pi's to play video on a hd tv off a network share or the SD card? Also can it play old game emulators like NES, SNES, PS1?

Phones can play NES and SNES games without a hitch, I don't see why not.

PS1 might be questionable.

I had a chance to order one from newark.com, but I didn't feel like waiting a month and paying a $20 handling surcharge. Plus now that they announced the Model B will have 256MB of RAM and is already in production, I think I'd rather go with that anyway. That one is supposed to include the case and power adapter too.

Its the B Model they are selling.. And thats still out of the next batch. A genmay'r got his ordered from farnell & it sill shows it wont be delivered until 04/23/2012..

Its the B Model they are selling.. And thats still out of the next batch. A genmay'r got his ordered from farnell & it sill shows it wont be delivered until 04/23/2012..

My bad. I meant the Model A.

They both have 256MB.

heh.. Looks like it was updated.. sources all over from the last week still have A listed as 128, but since raspberrypi.org now says that A has been re-worked to have 256 as well..

So you are correct.

I got a pre-oder in after getting DOS for a couple of hours, should be here in a month :p

I missed it at my own stupidity, thought they would be selling it on there own store so i was watching that and not the front page :( waited for 10min before realizing, by that time the sites where down.

heh.. Looks like it was updated.. sources all over from the last week still have A listed as 128, but since raspberrypi.org now says that A has been re-worked to have 256 as well..

So you are correct.

Yeah, sorry. I should have been more clear. I was only interested in the Model B because of the increased RAM. The ethernet port does nothing for me since I'd be using a USB wifi adapter anyway. If I can save $10 and get the same hardware without LAN, I'm all for it, even if I have to wait awhile for it to be distributed in the US.

Yeah, sorry. I should have been more clear. I was only interested in the Model B because of the increased RAM. The ethernet port does nothing for me since I'd be using a USB wifi adapter anyway. If I can save $10 and get the same hardware without LAN, I'm all for it, even if I have to wait awhile for it to be distributed in the US.

So maybe I am missing something else, but doesn't the B model still have wifi. The differences are listed as the B model also having a 2nd USB port and the ethernet.

Edit: that appears to of been wrong as well. I need to ignore what I read and look it up each time now. Most of the online info now conflicts worth the specs now listed on the main rpi page.

Last edited:

I got quoted the same date from farnell.

I like the way you think.

My birthday, Com'on you really want to donate it to me don't you. Of course you do! :D

Not kidding about the birthday part though, sort of weird!

I'm looking forward to this. Maybe somehow create my own cloud computing server farm.

Hate to break ur dreams (or do i :eek: ) but the cpu is a little under powered for anything of use, could still be fun to test.

By ship ment was bumped up to 23/4/12 as well, they must be having supply problems. :(

Ordered mine from Newark.com and it says April 3rd expected ship date for me.

Anyone know where they are shipping from or if we have to pay import taxes or anything? This $35 computer looks to be turning in to a $60-$70 computer with taxes/shipping/handling/import fees.

Anyone know where they are shipping from or if we have to pay import taxes or anything?
If it's through regular post like international airmail to the US, no there are no import taxes. If it's shipped UPS/FedEx (maybe other services too), watch out for customs "broker fees".

If you're in Canada or certain other countries, yes you may be taxed on the value of the item.

I believe that their main shipping point is the UK, but dont quote me on that. Both retailers have a massive shipment infrastructure, so its will cheaper then if the foundation sold it. Mine was only about US$5 more then the US$35 due to shipping and VAT.

For shipping it says "Best Way Ground" so I guess it will be a surprise.

Expected shipping date says March 30th for me now.

I have heard mention of a case designed by the Foundation, but it will be extra and may be a bit to release.

Will they make a neat case for it?

Originally the Model A was supposed to include a case in the purchase price. I'm not sure if this is still true, but I think there will definitely be an official case launching alongside the Model A when it arrives.

The FAQ states that they will start selling the Pi with or without cases, or separately later. That implies an extra cost.

Originally the Model A was supposed to include a case in the purchase price. I'm not sure if this is still true, but I think there will definitely be an official case launching alongside the Model A when it arrives.

No cases right now.

No cases right now.

Link to source? The Model A isn't even out yet, so I am surprised they have made such a definitive announcement. They have a habit of waiting until the last possible moment to announce such things.

The FAQ states cases will be available later, available with RPi boards or separately. There is no ETA given, and there hasn't been any other announcement of availability. I don't think Arik5405's statement is controversial. ;)

I don't think Arik5405's statement is controversial. ;)

Oh, oops. I misread.

Did you guys see this cool case in development that Steve posted on the front page?
http://marcoalici.wordpress.com/2012/02/29/me-and-the-raspberrypi-2/
raspberry-pi-case_07a.jpg

I can't wait for these to be easily available. If anyone is getting one in the first batch please let me know how XMBC runs on it. :D

That's exactly what I want it for. I have XBMC running on my main Linux box because I'm in a small bachelor suite and I can't make room for another box, not to mention the noise.

Works great until I want to play a game and watch stuff at the same time, not often but this usually means booting into windows and then no XBMC.

A Pi hanging between TV and PC would pretty much solve this if it works as advertised.

Back