Raspberry pi dac

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by noclevername, May 26, 2017.

1. noclevername

noclevername Limp Gawd

Has anybody made a raspberry pi dac? If so how did it hold up? Was looking at making one of these to see how they are, but wanted to see if anybody went this route before.
    https://www.hifiberry.com

2. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

I have one wrapped in plastic still, never got around to installing it. If I find time I'm going to test it.

3. noclevername

noclevername Limp Gawd

Let me know how it holds up. I've got the Modi 2 Uber and love it, but would not mind a simple dac for htpc

4. Nenu

Nenu Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Puts prophetic cap on.
    It will be crap.

Why do you care?

edit
    I didnt intend my question harshly, its to find if there is any worth for you.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  5. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

It will be crap? Based on what? You do realize that DACs are extremely simple massproduced electronics?

6. Nenu

Nenu Pick your own.....you deserve it.

See above

7. HammerSandwich

HammerSandwich Gawd

8. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm using pHat DAC on mine and it's whisper quite. The stock headphone output really was garbage as people say. Lots of noise. Pi3

I have played 24/96 and 24/192 on it. I don't know if it downsampled the 24/192, but it played it regardless.

Now, are you wanting to make the Raspberry Pi literally a DAC? Like a digital input comes into Pi, passes through, and comes out analogue? Or are you saying you want to add a DAC to your Pi to get better sound from things your Pi is playing?

9. noclevername

noclevername Limp Gawd

So you would be more correct in your phrasing. I want to add a card that will become a nicer DAC then what is built into the PI.

10. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

Ok, just making sure we got you right. You will have to look at what operating system you are using to see what hassle is included with different drivers. The HiFi Berry seems to be the gold standard. So for example the pHat DAC uses the same driver and chipset, so it worked for me on RuneAudio no problems setting the system to hifiberry. There are lots of cheap generic ones on eBay, you will just have to look at the exact chip it uses and see if anyone has had success on the operating system you are looking for.

noclevername likes this.
  11. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th Limp Gawd

It makes me laugh that they managed to include balanced stereo XLR outputs on that little board. (hifi berry)

12. michalrz

michalrz 2[H]4U

Can't play through the general purpose pins and make it literally a dac?

13. noclevername

noclevername Limp Gawd

Well I could assume so, but the hifi berry card is like going from a bifrost to putting in the 4490 upgrade. They both do the same thing, but one is of much better quality then the other.