raspberry 2 for advertisment tv display?

Karandras

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, so the gymnastics club my daughters are in got some TVs for running advertisement. The guy that hooked them up ran composite cables to a splitter to one long cable to a DVD player where they have the media for advertisement.

The director approached me because they want more multi media applications on the TVs, custom to each (scores on two, advertisment...etc...). I've never built anything like this but I was thinking of a rp2 per TV that they vnc to and put on whatever media they need. Shared drive that they can have the advertising media and web browser for the score application they run. The problem is it's Linux. These users will not be savy. I could have icons on the desktop that point to where they need to go and they would probably still get it wrong.

When I saw the rp2 could run win10 I became more interested. Rdp to each unit and set it to what you want. However with rdp it takes over the video session which is what I don't want. Can it be set to never log out and mimick the desktop? Am I on the right track? Not sure where to post this but hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I also though of running an HDMI cable from each TV to a central computer but the furthest TV is over 100ft away...that's an expensive run.

Thanks!

Unless I'm missing something that definitely sounds like overkill. I agree with just plugging the TV into a PC. 100ft of HDMI will cost less than 2 raspberry pis.

Unless I'm missing something that definitely sounds like overkill. I agree with just plugging the TV into a PC or streaming with Chromecast.

Many TVs though. So Chromecast still seems like the best alternative. Less cabling too.

Awsome!. I haven't seen Chromecast before. Time to crawl out from my rock and embrace technology ;-)

I think that'll work awesome. Reading what others have done, you can stream multiple tabs of Chrome to the Chromecast which would cover everything on the 4 TVs. Just have a small computer with chrome and it'll be good to go. Just hope that the wireless network is N in this place.

Thanks again for the info!!!!

Awsome!. I haven't seen Chromecast before. Time to crawl out from my rock and embrace technology ;-)

I think that'll work awesome. Reading what others have done, you can stream multiple tabs of Chrome to the Chromecast which would cover everything on the 4 TVs. Just have a small computer with chrome and it'll be good to go. Just hope that the wireless network is N in this place.

Thanks again for the info!!!!

Cool man. Let us know how it goes!

Hey,

So it went well until they needed to use them. During the meet they had to have 5 computers connected to the ISP's wireless router. When that happened the AP just died and would not come back the POS. So Chromecast got blamed for bringing down that network even though there was nothing casting to it at the time.

The director has authorized me to put together a wireless network just for the chromecasts that should cause this to not happen again. I was going to go baller and do a UniFi AP with a RB750UP to POE to it. Total cost would be about 150 but should be solid. That being said, since I'm trying to keep these on their own wireless network and I would like it to be powerful and stable is there another all in one router that would work better for a lower price tag? I was thinking the RB951Ui-2HnD with it's built in antenna but they are only 2.5 dB, not sure the range of that.

Any other suggestions?

I'm not the expert but it sounds to me like you're doing "it" wrong

bAMtan2,

Any suggestions then? I'm trying to find the problem with the setup that I'm looking at doing hence posting it here as [H] are the most experties on the interweb that I know of.

bAMtan2,

Any suggestions then? I'm trying to find the problem with the setup that I'm looking at doing hence posting it here as [H] are the most experties on the interweb that I know of.

Maybe, but the SFF subforum might not be getting you the full range of networking experties that [H] has to offer.

Back