Rarely Seen Shuttle Pictures

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Even though this isn’t tech related you guys really need to check out some pictures of the assembly and prep work that goes into launching one of our space shuttles.

These photos deserve a wide viewing audience: the amount of thought and engineering that goes into every launch is immense; each successful take-off represents the Mankind's finest effort, and is a wonder to behold.

Wow! This is amazing. It is really cool, how they use those "Crawlers" to move the shuttle to the launch pad. :eek:

I was just down at NASA last month and got to see some of this stuff first hand. Seriously, if you haven't been there, plan for a trip at least once in your life. The sheer size of things is amazing.

Wow! That is incredible. I loved the pics of the Thrusters being installed. Can you imagine working on that rats nest? Thanks for the link. Cool site to boot.

That's one time where prayers to God are expected.

"Please, God, don't let me be the person to drop <i>Discovery</i>."

Hmm, the shuttle rides on a prototype Fat Boy, ehh? I'll be this whole space program is just a cover.

It really does make you step back, take a huge breath and think and reflect on the things happening in our lifetime. Simply amazing:D

There aren't a lot of things I want to do before I leave this "mortal coil" but one of them is to go down there and witness a launch in person someday. It's gotta be an awesome thing to watch, and a night launch - very rare - would be even more spectacular.

I remember when this whole program started in the early 1970s (yeah, I'm old, sue me) and I was always blown away by the sheer scope of the whole thing, and even now I get a hair-raising feeling whenever one launches.

My Wife's birthday is January 28th, the same day the Challenger exploded after launch in 1986. She was 10 years old at the time (no dammit, I didn't marry her then, silly...didn't even know her back then, just married her shy of two years ago) and watching the launch at her school with all her friends while eating her birthday cake, and then to witness that live as it happened. Certainly not something she'll ever forget, I can assure you.

Off-topic a bit but related to dates: when we were setting a date for our wedding, I wanted to choose something really special. I proposed to her in January of 2005 and it suddenly dawned on me - May 5th, 2005. So our wedding date in 2 character format is:

05-05-05

:D

I was just down at NASA last month and got to see some of this stuff first hand. Seriously, if you haven't been there, plan for a trip at least once in your life. The sheer size of things is amazing.

I tried to go there 3 times in the past, but every night when we are at our hotel room preparing for the upcoming day, we get a phone call that somone has died in our immediate family.

Sad too, because the launches I would have seen would have been the two shuttles that didn't make it.

Thank you for that.

I think it's time to set up an [H] field trip to a space shuttle launch. :D

And then overclock that bitch to Mars!

Back