Raptor + XP: "No hard disc detected. Press F3 to exit setup." WHAT?!

offtone

Limp Gawd
Ok, so the other day I setup my new rig by installing the Raptor with my XP SP2 CD in the CD-ROM drive. The whole thing went fine, and I got all the drivers and software installed. Thing is, the drive was called "H:" and after I'd partitioned it (PartitionMagic 8) I had another called "J:" with the fourth drive of my card reader wedged between them as "I:". I didn't like this at all, so I unplugged the card reader, unhooked the CD-ROM drive (D:) and used PartionMagic to set H: and J: to C: and D: respectively. It said there was a good chance Windows wouldn't boot after this, but I didn't care (I'd planned on formatting and re-installing anyway because I fudged my drivers...) So after PM had renamed the drives, it rebooted and said something about not being able to run a batch file (something that, I think, was supposed to go through and fix references to the old drive letters). I shrugged, rebooted with the XPSP2 CD loaded and tried to get through Windows Setup. After I'd pressed Enter to proceed with setup (after it'd done the driver-loading thing) the screen read something like "No hard disc detected. Check that you've actually got one connected and that there are no configuration errors. Press F3 to quit." I press F3, and the setup says it's rebooting my system in 15 seconds.

What the hell? The drive is listed in the BIOS as the WD740 or whatever the code is for it. It's there. Why can't setup see it now if it saw it the first time around? Because I changed the bloody drive letter?!

Please help. Oh God please help. I need my system up again!

Thanks.

Whoops. Seems at some point I switched it over to SATAII. I've got it back on SATA and it's detected now. Heh.

Back