• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Raptor vs. Raptor X

BinarySynapse

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
13,984
What is the difference. One of the reviews I read said that the raptor X is for non RAIDing and the regular Raptor is only for RAIDing. Is that true or is the X all about the pretty window?
 
Thanks for the quick response. What about this TLER thing that the non X has. is that going to give me problems in a non RAID setup?
 
ryan_975 said:
Thanks for the quick response. What about this TLER thing that the non X has. is that going to give me problems in a non RAID setup?
Been running for 5months and not breaking a sweat. Got non windowed 1, not much for that bling crap.
 
I thought about getting one just to see it running, but the entertainment factor would only last about 5 minutes at the most. Maybe I'll meet someone who has one and take a peek THanks for the info
 
ryan_975 said:
I thought about getting one just to see it running, but the entertainment factor would only last about 5 minutes at the most. Maybe I'll meet someone who has one and take a peek THanks for the info
Just take apart an old HD and turn it on.
 
lithium726 said:
Just take apart an old HD and turn it on.
No thanks, they just don't seem to work anymore after taking the top off. I took the top off of an old 380MB Conner (Connor?) hard drive and it just start clicking across the platters and returning to center repeatedly. I ended up making a nice set of coaster out of that ahrd drive.

Anyway I don't hink voiding the warranty on something that expensive would warrant five minutes of entertainment.

Ryan

EDIT. Just noticed you said an OLD harddrive, my bad.
 
LOL, well of course theyre not gonna work anymore :p

the inside of a HD is a vaccum, ANYTHING gets on those platters and youre fucked.
 
lithium726 said:
LOL, well of course theyre not gonna work anymore :p

the inside of a HD is a vaccum, ANYTHING gets on those platters and youre fucked.
well I was fifteen the last time I took one apart to see it spinning. Was really neat at the time. Had just upgraded to a Western Digital 1280MB Caviar drive for 339.00 and bought a copy of Windows 95 the second week it was out (plus a free 104key keyboard). I was shitting in tall cotten that month. Anyway, I decided my 380mb drive was worthless so I pulled it apart.
 
lithium726 said:
the inside of a HD is a vaccum, ANYTHING gets on those platters and youre fucked.
False, there are even breathing holes. Hypoallergenic filters, though - you're right about the huge potential for platter damage.

People have (in the past) taken the lid off disks and replaced them with plexiglas. Not a mod for the faint of heart (or wallet) but cool.

 
lithium726 said:
LOL, well of course theyre not gonna work anymore :p

the inside of a HD is a vaccum, ANYTHING gets on those platters and youre fucked.
There has to be air inside, otherwise the read head wouldn't be able to float above the platter.
 
RyanVM said:
There has to be air inside, otherwise the read head wouldn't be able to float above the platter.

^sarcasm? air=02 vacuum=nothing

the head can move through nothingness/magnetic field through nothingness. air might even impede
 
serbiaNem said:
^sarcasm? air=02 vacuum=nothing

the head can move through nothingness/magnetic field through nothingness. air might even impede

It's not a closed vacuum by any means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_drive

The mostly sealed enclosure protects the drive internals from dust, condensation, and other sources of contamination. The hard disk's read-write heads fly on an air bearing which is a cushion of air only nanometers above the disk surface. The disk surface and the drive's internal environment must therefore be kept immaculate to prevent damage from fingerprints, hair, dust, smoke particles, etc., given the submicroscopic gap between the heads and disk.
 
serbiaNem said:
It maybe an air bearing, but that doesn't mean the inside of the drive is air. I have no clue whether or not it is air or a vacuum, but a vacuum would make more sense as a 10,000rpm spinning platter would meet plenty of air resistance/heat.
That's a strange concept. How would a perfectly circular platter spinning on its axis exhibit much air resistance at all?

The air is used for a "ground effect" (like a helicopter uses, down low) to push the head up off the surface of the disk. I don't think that hard drives would work in a vacuum.
Wikipedia said:
The system relies on air pressure inside the drive to support the heads at their proper flying height while the disk is in motion. A hard disk drive requires a certain range of air pressures in order to operate properly. The connection to the external environment and pressure occur through a small orifice in the enclosure, usually featuring also a carbon filter on the inside (the breather filter, see below). If the air pressure is too low, there will not be enough lift for the flying head, the head will not be at the proper height, and there is a risk of head crashes and data loss. Specially manufactured sealed and pressurized drives are needed for reliable high-altitude operation, above about 10,000 feet.

 
serbiaNem said:
It maybe an air bearing, but that doesn't mean the inside of the drive is air. I have no clue whether or not it is air or a vacuum, but a vacuum would make more sense as a 10,000rpm spinning platter would meet plenty of air resistance/heat.

It is air. Stop trying to use your limited experience to guess how drives work and just spend a minute or two reading about it so you don't look like an idiot.

You can start with the WIKI entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk
 
Anyway, if it says Raid Edition HDDs do you have to RAID it ? Like the WD5000KS and WD5000YS (Raid Edition).... is it a MUST to RAID the HDD ?
 
serbiaNem said:
^sarcasm? air=02 vacuum=nothing

the head can move through nothingness/magnetic field through nothingness. air might even impede

As a side note, the majority of air is nitrogen, not O2.
 
Phrik said:
Anyway, if it says Raid Edition HDDs do you have to RAID it ? Like the WD5000KS and WD5000YS (Raid Edition).... is it a MUST to RAID the HDD ?
It's a really strong suggestion. When the drive is used solo, it will stop trying to recover the data in certain scenarios (that's what makes it a raid edition drive!) and the operating system will see this as an error.

Use desktop drives for standalone or raid 0 use, and RE drives for raid 1, 10 or 5 (or other redundant) schemes.

 
eastvillager said:
It is air. Stop trying to use your limited experience to guess how drives work and just spend a minute or two reading about it so you don't look like an idiot.

You can start with the WIKI entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk

Start using your limited maturity to condescend others, so you don't look like a jackass. Notice I didn't start flaming, I just stated what I though was physically possible. Before you start flaunting your absolute knowledge of everything, you should take a couple minutes to read about arrogance, and how it is a character flaw most people despise.

You can start with the WIKI entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrogance

For the record: Seagate made pressurized drives in the past using a vacuum. Hence my "limited experience" seems to have a bias toward reality.
 
serbiaNem said:
Start using your limited maturity to condescend others, so you don't look like a jackass. Notice I didn't start flaming, I just stated what I though was physically possible. Before you start flaunting your absolute knowledge of everything, you should take a couple minutes to read about arrogance, and how it is a character flaw most people despise.

You can start with the WIKI entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrogance

For the record: Seagate made pressurized drives in the past using a vacuum. Hence my "limited experience" seems to have a bias toward reality.

How can something be pressurized, and yet still be a vacuum? To create a vacuum you have to reduce pressure.
 
ryan_975 said:
How can something be pressurized, and yet still be a vacuum? the definition of vacuum is absence of pressure. (no it's not the absence of air)

Remove air, and you have inverse pressure. Ever see a CRT implode?
 
A high pressure environment is called Pressurize, and low pressure environment is called a vacuum. A CRT is nothing more than a glorified vacuum tube. I have never heard of inverse pressure. In fact an absolute vacuum (0 pressure) is theoretically impossible. So negative pressure would definately be impossible.
 
ryan_975 said:
A high pressure environment is called Pressurize, and low pressure environment is called a vacuum. A CRT is nothing more than a glorified vacuum tube. I have never heard of inverse pressure. In fact an absolute vacuum (0 pressure) is theoretically impossible. So negative pressure would definately be impossible.

I used inverse pressure to mean external pressure on the drive. I know that perfect vaccum is theorized to be impossible, similar to absolute zero temperature. Funny how the similarities goes, there is an absolute unreachable bottom for pressure and temperature, but we have yet to find the ceiling.
 
serbiaNem said:
I used inverse pressure to mean external pressure on the drive. I know that perfect vaccum is theorized to be impossible, similar to absolute zero temperature. Funny how the similarities goes, there is an absolute unreachable bottom for pressure and temperature, but we have yet to find the ceiling.

well, this is the way it was explained to me

Absolute Zero temperature (or 0 kelvin) is the point where any and all motion within a molecule stops.

Absolute Zero Pressure is the point when no matter exists within an enclosed space.

We haven't found an absolute ceiling because there is no ceiling, temperature and pressure can always be increased (theoretically)

At any rate a hard drive is designed so that the heads float on a cusion of air. That cusion of air is created by the spinning of the platters. There is a special place on the platters (outter m most cylinder I belive) where the heads would park before the drive powered down. As the drive spins down the air cusion dissipates causing the heads to land on the platters. A head crash is when that cusion of air is disturbed and the heads land on the platter in an area other than the landing zone. This causes destruction to the media and any data/servo information stored there. And many times it destroys the head since the platter is spinning at full speed.

So a vacuum (eevn a slight one) in a hard drive would mean less air for the platters to move and in turn mean a less reliable cusion for the heads to float on. Increasing the pressure though would cause more resistance to the platters and raise temperature and wouldn't be good either. So I don't think the reliablility of those old seagate would have been very high, although I've never seen one so I don't know.

Ryan
 
Back
Top