Raptor - desperately need to silence

jcll2002

2[H]4U
I've had my 74gig raptor (GD) for about a year now but ever since I went watercooling the sound has really started to tick me off. I am using an antec p160w and I can feel the vibrations from it. Using rubber grommets that came with the case (i believe), the sound is a lot worse when the door to the case is on, somehow amplifying the sound. With the door off, it is a lot quieter but still loud. So, I was thinking about getting a p180b but I've already modded my case a little to accomodate the watercooling and its a pain to do it again, obviously.

So, I was really wondering if there are any cheap ways of "silencing" the drive. I've looked into suspending the drive, but I havent found anything conclusive. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: i have this for my pump and it works well.

Petra's Tech Shop

do you think if i completely wrapped the raptor in this would it overheat or something?

I wouldn't wrap the hard drive with anything. It'll all trap heat. Maybe a hard drive specific fan might be enough to drown it out and not be as annoying?

Hard drives generally generate the most heat on the sides, where it's screwed into a big piece of metal. Don't put padding there unless you've got airflow over the sides.

Is there vibration being caused by the drive? If you put your hand on the case, does it stop the noise?

Back