• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Rant about Frozencpu.com

Pixelated Taco

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 29, 2005
Messages
244
Here's the story so bear with me.

On Saturday July 26 08 I went looking for a several parts to upgrade my DFI P35 stock chipset cooling. It seemed that in the new Rocketfish case the motherboard wasn't happy and would cause stuttering when playing music, movies and when gaming.

So I looked around and decided to go with Frozencpu.com for aftermarket cooling and a fan controller. I've never had a problem with this company and the prices where fair. So I bought several items coming out close to $100 and used 2 day shipping with a 10% off discount coupon I found on the web.

Also the same day I bought at PCtoys.com a Lian-Li Hard Drive bay that'll give me extra cooling because of the fan that comes with it. They offered free shipping for any items over $25 which was great.

Well after waiting until Wednesday to receive my Frozencpu items(I was hoping the items from Frozencpu.com would come in on Tuesday evening) I found surprisingly that the PCtoys item I ordered also came in. So I feel silly already for paying $24 for 2 day shipping at Frozencpu but that's life.

Well after pulling everything out the box that I received from FCPU I realize that the Thermalright Mosfet Cooler was the wrong size. It was too short...and I thought to myself "Hey maybe I ordered the wrong item". Well I looked on their website and found that item had the specs for L84xW32.3xH48 and that the item I have in my hands is L58 x W32.3 x H48 which is the Thermalright HR-09s Type 3 Mosfet. Which looking on Thermalright's website is the correct length, width, and height for that type but it was incorrect on FCPU website.

Now I had called this morning and talked to someone at their office. I called at 9:25AM CST and complained...the man I spoke to said that whoever handles this isn't going to be in the office until 12 and they'll give me a call. This is 12PM EST which here would be 11AM. I had to call at 12PM CST since I han't heard a word.

Then I look at their website and of course they've changed their specs for the item but the picture is still wrong for the mosfet. I checked the site around 12pm.

The conversation that took place.

Me: Hey guys calling back to see what we can do about this incorrect item I received.
FCPU: Sorry if you'd like you can ship it back and we can refund you the whole amount
Me: One of the reasons I did 2 days shipping was for this item and the the other thermalright cooler. So you're telling me after paying 2 day shipping now I have to pay for the return shipping?
FCPU: Yes
Me (very fustrated) : Tell you what I just want a full refund and I'll return everything
FCPU: Wait a sec (wait about 2-3 minutes)
FCPU: My manager said that if you return the items you'll have to pay for a 20% restock fee and you'll lose the 10% coupon.
Me (Gritting my teeth): Thank you.

Am I over reacting? I mean I don't feel like I am but maybe I don't see it from their point of view. I've been stuck here waiting for a week to get this motherboard up and now I have to wait for my item to get back so I can get a refund to buy the part from another store. I've never had a problem from them and always referred friends there but I guess I'm out of a Mosfet until the items gets to their office. :mad:

Incorrect picture (HR-09 Type 2 model) for the Type 3 model:
 
Bummer ....
Suck it up, move on, not worth to get gray hair over it. Just never deal with them again and be sure to point everyone to this thread if someone is asking for vendor recommendations.
 
Vote with your wallet and dont go back there. Chalk it up to a learning experience.
 
Yeah I won't ever go back there as the least they could of done for a an item that was misprinted on their website was paying for the return shipping. Instead I have to out of my pocket pay for it for it but at least they're giving me a full refund and not charging me 20% restock fee. Sheesh.
 
Most everything I've ever returned, RMA or incorrect item or whatever; I always had to pay the return shipping.

Yes, Frozen had the wrong info and did make a mistake according to what you've said, but they didn't wrestle you to the ground and make you order 2 day.

You got 1 incorrect item. Send it back.
If you bought the same item from a brick and morter store, you'd not expect them to pay for your gas to drive back to their store and return it, would you???

Why not just exchange it for the correct one??
Plus you're complaining because the guy didn't call you at 12 noon on the dot??? I mean, did you ever think he might have other things to do. I usually feel lucky if people call me back the same day they are supposed to. Gee, you waited a whole hour.
 
Most everything I've ever returned, RMA or incorrect item or whatever; I always had to pay the return shipping.

Yes, Frozen had the wrong info and did make a mistake according to what you've said, but they didn't wrestle you to the ground and make you order 2 day.

You got 1 incorrect item. Send it back.
If you bought the same item from a brick and morter store, you'd not expect them to pay for your gas to drive back to their store and return it, would you???

And I understand but I'd rather drive to the store and return the items for the convenience then having to wait several more days for the item to get there and then for the refund.

I don't want to speak hypothetically but if this item was a big screen tv and the item that was shipped was incorrect would I have to pay the return shipping for something so big? Either way the item is going back and I'm just not shopping with them ever again.
 
And I understand but I'd rather drive to the store and return the items for the convinience then having to wait several more days for the item to get there and then for the refund.

I don't want to speak hypothetically but if this item was a big screen tv and the item that was shipped was incorrect would I have to pay the return shipping for something so big? Either way the item is going back and I'm just not shopping with them ever again.

Life isn't simple. It wasn't a big screen TV, it was a little piece of aluminum that cost what, a dollar or two to send back via USPS????
Did you point out to them their web posting was incorrect????
 
Life isn't simple. It wasn't a big screen TV, it was a little piece of aluminum that cost what, a dollar or two to send back via USPS????
Did you point out to them their web posting was incorrect????

Yeah the item is going to be sent back through USPS. And yes it was pointed out to them that the specifications were incorrect on the page and even mentioned the picture was for the HR-09 Type 2 instead of the Type 3. They've changed the specs but haven't changed the picture so I'll shoot them an e-mail mentioning to them the picture so other customers don't get confused.
 
That's pretty standard. You paid for 2-day, not their fault. The item description was wrong. These things happen.

They tried to make it right. They didn't say "Send it back red label" - you could spend $5 to ship priority and it'll probably get there in a day (considering you got a 2 day in one day)

It's a personal build and a minor detail and not required for functionality. Be a little more reasonable and a little more patient. It'll make you live longer.
 
I don't like FrozenCPU either. It's the only site I've heard of where they don't automatically include fan tails with fans, and will ship you bare wire fans as default. Their bottom line is anything but you.
 
That's pretty standard. You paid for 2-day, not their fault. The item description was wrong. These things happen.

They tried to make it right. They didn't say "Send it back red label" - you could spend $5 to ship priority and it'll probably get there in a day (considering you got a 2 day in one day)

It's a personal build and a minor detail and not required for functionality. Be a little more reasonable and a little more patient. It'll make you live longer.

Maybe I am being unreasonable this is why I made this thread to see if I was the one in the wrong.

In terms of shipping I didn't get the item in one day I. I ordered the items a Saturday the 25th of July and received them yesterday July the 30th on a Wednesday. The thing that surprised me was that the PCtoys item with free shipping came in the same day.
 
Well after pulling everything out the box that I received from FCPU I realize that the Thermalright Mosfet Cooler was the wrong size. It was too short...and I thought to myself "Hey maybe I ordered the wrong item". Well I looked on their website and found that item had the specs for L84xW32.3xH48 and that the item I have in my hands is L58 x W32.3 x H48 which is the Thermalright HR-09s Type 3 Mosfet. Which looking on Thermalright's website is the correct length, width, and height for that type but it was incorrect on FCPU website.


The wording is a little confusing so I am not exactly sure of your situation.

If they sent you something that was incorrectly described on the product page and are giving you trouble, simply file a chargeback with your credit card. They are in the wrong, and they can send you a shipping label if they want their product back.

If the problem is on their end, DO NOT AGREE TO PAY THEM ANYTHING.

Consumerist chargeback mini-information

Consumerist guide to fighting back
 
The wording is a little confusing so I am not exactly sure of your situation.

If they sent you something that was incorrectly described on the product page and are giving you trouble, simply file a chargeback with your credit card. They are in the wrong, and they can send you a shipping label if they want their product back.

If the problem is on their end, DO NOT AGREE TO PAY THEM ANYTHING.

Consumerist chargeback mini-information

Consumerist guide to fighting back

The item I bought was the Thermalright HR-09s. There are 3 types of the model.

The item described on their page was for the Type 2 (long length L84mm) the Item I received was the Type 3 (Length is 58mm). The picture for the product on the FCPU is for the HR-09s Type 2 (Length of 84mm) as the picture provided in my first post.


[FONT=arial, helvetica]This is the model I thought I was buying because of the specs and the picture:

[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]HR-09S Type 2
- Dimension : L84 x W32.3 x H48
- Weight : 90g (heatsink only)

This is the model I received in the mail:

[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]HR-09S Type 3
- Dimension : L58 x W32.3 x H48
- Weight : 90g (heatsink only)
[/FONT]
 
If the specs and picture were wrong, especially if you have that screenshot proving it, then you can make a strong argument for product being not as described.

Tell them you're going to file a chargeback if they don't send you a return shipping label for a no-fee return, and if they don't, file the chargeback.

You have no responsibility to pay for their incompetence, so don't.
 
If the specs and picture were wrong, especially if you have that screenshot proving it, then you can make a strong argument for product being not as described.

Tell them you're going to file a chargeback if they don't send you a return shipping label for a no-fee return, and if they don't, file the chargeback.

You have no responsibility to pay for their incompetence, so don't.

I think I'm just going to send the item back. I have the incorrect picture for the item they are offering but I didn't get time to take the picture of the incorrect specs. They have know changed the specs to the correct ones.

Thanks for the info though I'll keep this in mind. I'll just not shop with them again.
 
Chargebacks are easy man. You probably paid ballpark $20 for the 2 day shipping, will pay $6-8 for return shipping, not to mention a couple bucks for the "restocking" fee. A couple of minutes would get all of that back.

If you know your rights and aren't a dick about it, companies know they can't walk all over you.
 
Most everything I've ever returned, RMA or incorrect item or whatever; I always had to pay the return shipping.

Yes, Frozen had the wrong info and did make a mistake according to what you've said, but they didn't wrestle you to the ground and make you order 2 day.

You got 1 incorrect item. Send it back.
If you bought the same item from a brick and morter store, you'd not expect them to pay for your gas to drive back to their store and return it, would you???

Why not just exchange it for the correct one??
Plus you're complaining because the guy didn't call you at 12 noon on the dot??? I mean, did you ever think he might have other things to do. I usually feel lucky if people call me back the same day they are supposed to. Gee, you waited a whole hour.

Couple of things. I did get one incorrect item but it's one of the items I need for the PC to work correctly. Without it I'm out of a PC until I buy the correct mosfet for my motherboard. The only reason I did the 2 day shipping was for the mosfet and the southrbridge heatsink.

Paying $24 for shipping isn't cheap and getting the wrong item, them telling you they don't have the one I was looking for and waiting for the item to get there then more days for the credit back has me out of a PC for those days. And I still have to pay for shipping back to them for their mistake. It's a costly mistake in terms of money and time.

And yes I called them back at 1pm Eastern Time not at noon. I had called them 10:30 Eastern Time and they said that the person that handles it wouldn't be in until noon. What other "things" do they have to do? Make more money? Correct their web page? I've received e-mails faster from Newegg...e-mails. Instead of keeping me as a customer they could of e-mailed me anytime (yeah well....send it back on your dime) if that was going to be the answer.
 
If you know your rights and aren't a dick about it, companies know they can't walk all over you.

That def. isn't true with this company they really try to walk all over you. I live in Rochester where they are located and I would go and pick my items up from them and they would basically bitch at me for doing this. The first time me and my dad when there we didn't know where there entrance was since they have no store front and we ended up going to there loading dock. The owner was standing back there and started going off on me and my dad for going back there then 2 mins later one of there suppliers rolls up and low and behold it's the same local supplier we have and when Frozen CPU's owner noticed that we knew him he completely change his tune that sec and was basically kissing my feet it was kinda weird. Needless to say I don't shop there anymore.
 
so I didnt read every post but I want to put in my 2 cents about the op.

I think if a company themselves mess up, it should be 100% their fault... however I feel the company should give a full refund and pay for shipping... I do not feel like they are obligated to pay for the most expensive shipping however to get the item back and possibly get the item back to you, but I still think its what a company should thrive to do just so they can keep their customer base back up.

and in all honesty posts like this are detrimental to a company imo.
(im probably not going to buy from FrozenCPU, not that i was anyways though... however if this post was about out awesome FrozenCPU is, I would probably be at their site right now ordering a few fans for my new case)
 
so I didnt read every post but I want to put in my 2 cents about the op.

I think if a company themselves mess up, it should be 100% their fault... however I feel the company should give a full refund and pay for shipping... I do not feel like they are obligated to pay for the most expensive shipping however to get the item back and possibly get the item back to you, but I still think its what a company should thrive to do just so they can keep their customer base back up.

and in all honesty posts like this are detrimental to a company imo.
(im probably not going to buy from FrozenCPU, not that i was anyways though... however if this post was about out awesome FrozenCPU is, I would probably be at their site right now ordering a few fans for my new case)

I'm going to write a complaint letter to them but I feel the same way. If someone ordered an item and they received the wrong one they should at least offer to send you a shipping label. I wasn't asking for all the shipping money back or even wanted to send everything back but for a customer they could of gone above and beyond to keep me. What's a $5 shipping label to them when I may have bought a watercooling kit from there. I was digging their kits.

Now they have lost me as a customer and I won't shop there again but lesson learned as people here have said. I'll shop at the major places and now PCtoys just because their free shipping is as fast as Frozencpu's 2 day delivery.
 
I agree that frozen CPU should have issued a UPS or FedEx call tag. When the Item is in their posession they can issue a FULL credit.

If the website was wrong, they should refund the shipping too. If it was your fault then you should have to eat the cost.

That is issue 1

Second issue: getting a second one.

You pay for the shipping and the product. (If they are feeling very nice they could offer a shipping upgrade for free.) Othwise they don't owe you anything.

You could always have the BBB give them a call....They ARE on the BBB list for good service.
 
I agree that frozen CPU should have issued a UPS or FedEx call tag. When the Item is in their posession they can issue a FULL credit.

If the website was wrong, they should refund the shipping too. If it was your fault then you should have to eat the cost.

That is issue 1

Second issue: getting a second one.

You pay for the shipping and the product. (If they are feeling very nice they could offer a shipping upgrade for free.) Othwise they don't owe you anything.

You could always have the BBB give them a call....They ARE on the BBB list for good service.

The website was wrong in terms of picture and item specification. I'm sending them a complaint letter and hope they'll send me a shipping label. I have pictures of incorrect displayed item and will send that in also.

I'll suck sending it in for right now as this is based off principle.
 
I had a pretty crappy experience with frozen cpu a few years ago. thankfully they dont have anything unique (for me at least) so i can spend my money elsewhere.

what I started doing back then was saving the page and description in IE and the receipt whenever I purchase anything FWIW
 
Not to beat a dead horse, but you purchased an aftermarket Mosfet heatsink.
Your MB has a heatsink, right?
So you took your MB apart before the FrozenCpu part arrived? and it was nonfunctional?

Since you got the wrong part, you said the computer was now not useable?
You couldn't have just put the old heatsink back on? until you received the correct one from Frozen or someone else???

I completely agree that Frozen sent you the wrong part. In part because of bad information on their website.

But, they offered to refund the part.
You have to pay shipping back to them, which has you upset and I can understand that.....but like I said before, I've had RMAs for broken or defective parts and I've always had to pay the shipping back to the company......it wasn't my fault the thing was broken.....but I still had to foot the bill.

I like FrozenCpu. They have always treated me very well and are super quick with shipping. and yes......I've had an RMA with them before......and paid the shipping.
Do I use them for everything I need, no. Why? Their prices are a little high compared to Performance-PCs, but since they are in NY with me.....I usually get things the next day. If I need it fast, that's where I go first.

I don't think your BBB complaint will go far. Frozen made you an offer. If you want instant gratification, write something on resellerratings.;)
I still think you are way out of line getting mad for them not calling you back in less than 1 hour......as I said, that one guy may have had 15 other things to sort out before he got to your problem. As far as I know, Frozen is not newegg. They probably have 1 or 2 guys that do the things you required, not 100 like I'm sure newegg or mwave has.
Sure it's frustrating..... and if you cooled off a little bit and called them back tomorrow, with a clean slate.....and asked to speak to a higher up guy.....I bet you could work something out.
 
Not to beat a dead horse, but you purchased an aftermarket Mosfet heatsink.
Your MB has a heatsink, right?
So you took your MB apart before the FrozenCpu part arrived? and it was nonfunctional?

Since you got the wrong part, you said the computer was now not useable?
You couldn't have just put the old heatsink back on? until you received the correct one from Frozen or someone else???

I completely agree that Frozen sent you the wrong part. In part because of bad information on their website.

But, they offered to refund the part.
You have to pay shipping back to them, which has you upset and I can understand that.....but like I said before, I've had RMAs for broken or defective parts and I've always had to pay the shipping back to the company......it wasn't my fault the thing was broken.....but I still had to foot the bill.

I like FrozenCpu. They have always treated me very well and are super quick with shipping. and yes......I've had an RMA with them before......and paid the shipping.
Do I use them for everything I need, no. Why? Their prices are a little high compared to Performance-PCs, but since they are in NY with me.....I usually get things the next day. If I need it fast, that's where I go first.

I don't think your BBB complaint will go far. Frozen made you an offer. If you want instant gratification, write something on resellerratings.;)
I still think you are way out of line getting mad for them not calling you back in less than 1 hour......as I said, that one guy may have had 15 other things to sort out before he got to your problem. As far as I know, Frozen is not newegg. They probably have 1 or 2 guys that do the things you required, not 100 like I'm sure newegg or mwave has.
Sure it's frustrating..... and if you cooled off a little bit and called them back tomorrow, with a clean slate.....and asked to speak to a higher up guy.....I bet you could work something out.

I've never had a problem with them before and would suggest the site to friends. I've bought items from them for several years and not once did I have a problem with defective items or wrong parts. I loved the site but I can't go as far as say that I cared much for their tech support. I wasn't mad that I had to call them but I was mad with the conversation.

When I asked him that I had to pay out of pocket to ship the item back he basically said "Yep". Sure he apologized for giving me the wrong item but I'm sure he's not sorry that I have to send the item in on my dime. This is an item that was incorrectly pictured and spec'ed on their website but I have to pay for their mistake.

I've had to pay for for RMA parts that have failed on me after use. I've also had companies (OCZ, Corsair) pay for shipping of items that I've used and have failed. But this is an item that I just received and it was the incorrect item because of a mistake on their part. I find that the option they gave me was unacceptable and I was hoping as a customer they would go above and beyond to correct the problem. If they would told me they where paying for shipping to item (wether ground or 3 day) I would of not had a problem and would of given them thumbs up.

As much as i'd love to stick my old heatpipes back on it's just not hacking the job in this Texas heat. These 100F really do a number on the system and cause it to freeze every 20 minutes and I don't want the motherboard to die because of me abusing it. Then I'd really have to deal with another RMA.

I'll call again tommorrow and see what we can work out.

If I don't get anywhere then I'm going to write them a letter asking them to fix the problem and that I would like them to pay for shipping to them with a full credit back. If not the I'll ask for a charge back on my card and give them a bad review on reseller rating.
 
strange that they wouldnt just try to make it right from the get go. I have considered ordering a few things from them in the past but never did because I never knew anyone with any ordering experience, I'll keep this in mind next time i want something from them.
 
I'm still a happy camper with FCPU. I recently ordered a window kit and the metal nibbler from them but received a crimper instead of the metal nibbler. Sent an email to their rma department and got a reply a day or two later from Mike and they got my nibbler out the next day. I've also never paid for anything but their cheapest shipping, the $8 something fedex. It has always arrived to my place in southern california in 2 days.

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, but it happens.
 
FrozenCPU imo is way too expensive compared to other retailers.

I asked about their Creative Audigy female end to front panel audio male end and they said it would work like it does in other cards; i.e. I can use either the front audio plug or the back audio plug.

Unfortunately, it did not work as described. When you plug it in, it makes the front panel audio jack the only working one, disabling all the jacks in the back for some reason.

Decided just to keep the hit of the cost and suck it up and not by their overpriced stuff again.
 
Back
Top