randon hang-ups HELP!!!

blix9

Weaksauce
What would be all the possible cause of the random hang-ups(only mouse cursor moves but no response of anything, not even CTrl-Alt-Del) provided Prime95(with different kind of test options) ran without a single error for over 24 hours few times?

That was a long question but you know what I mean.
I said all the possible cause because I am totally cluless now.

Any help would be appriciated.

AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+
Asrock 939Dual-VSTA
eVga GeForce 6800 AGPx8 (non-ultra, unlocked all masked pipes successfully)
OCZ 2 x 1Gig RAM
Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS
Hitachi SATA II 160Gig HDD -main hard drive
Maxtor Ultra ATA 60Gig HDD -for file storage (Slave)
NEC DVD Writer (Master)
SeaSonic S12-600 600W PSU
Win XP Pro x64(64 bit)

This happened to me all of last week. It turns out it was a driver conflict. Have you installed/upgraded any new drivers or devices recently?

I re-installed windows and all was good, yet another reason why my school computer is a Mac ;).

I assume you're overclocking (or else you'd have posted this in a different forum) so does this behaviour occur while your BIOS is at stock settings?

nothing is overclocked.
I haven't done any driver upgrade or anything.
I have been experinencing this problem since I upgraded my mobo and CPU a month ago. At that time I did fresh Win XP install.
Um...so it could be a driver conflict from the beginning? That actually make sense because right after the fresh install I've installed a bunch of drivers for bunch of devices in my machine.
I wonder which one it could be? Do you have a idea what's the most likely culprit? graphics diver? sound card? or even CPU driver or dual core optimizer? I have bunch of drivers intalled.

Another problem is from time to time my usb ports via my Dell monitor go missing. However, I think this is saparate issue from random hangups.

Thanks for any help.

Eh, as bad as it sounds... can you do a full re-install? Do you have another HD to test? Install it on that HD and see what gives?

This certainly seems like a software issue because, well, if your hardware hangs it's usually ok, or dead. IE, if you board is unstable you'll generally reboot/poweroff/hard freeze. But since you can move the mouse, I dont think any hardware issue would allow this.

You dont have "windowblinds" or any other UI hiijack programs installed do you?

I see. so that's kinda good news in a bad problem huh? As I wrote in my post, finally after many trial and error, I could run Prime95 for a long time(over 24 hours) without a single error. So I thought my upgraded machine is finally stable but then again I still get this random hangups. I got really puzzled and totally clueless. In fact, there's been some random reboots soon after the upgrade but I don't see it happenning for about last 2 weeks now.

I'm gonna try reinstalling the Window XP.

Thanks for your help, man.

okay I did a Window XP repair reinstall and I still get the same kind of hangups. Mouse moves but nothing else responds.
Is it quite clear that this is a software problem? Not hardware related? I really hope so.

Thnkas for any help.

Back