"Randomly" shuts off...

spyders03

n00b
Hello, I am new to this forum and thought this would be the best place to put this question. I have a MSI p4n SLI mobo, 3.2 Duel core Intel, EVGA 6800GS, 500w allied PSU, 1g kingston ram, tsunami dream case. Sometimes my computer will randomly shut off, except when it does shut off, it doesn't want to turn back on like it is overheated. Except, it will shut off when the Processor is at 55*, I have unplugged everything and cleaned it, all fans are running, The only thing I can think of is the PSU going bad, also when it is running, the fan blowing out of the PSU is much hotter than the fan out of the back of the case. I have looked on the mobo for any expanded resistors or anything and can't find anything. Any ideas would be a great help. Right now I have a 24" box fan blowing inside the front of the case. I have ran a few system checks and nothig out of the ordinary. CPU is at 57*, GPU is at 45*. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Sounds like a PSU problem to me, check all the outputs to confirm if it is dying otherwise try changing it and see if you have the problem anymore.

I have ordered a new PSU, Xion 600W SLI PSU, Either my PSU is going bad, or when I upgraded from the 2.8 to the 3.2 it isn't able to handle it anymore and is stressing it out. Thanks for the help, any other ideas what it might be?

Yeah I would bet it is a PSU issue. Every time I have had random shutdowns it has been the culprit.

Well, all of your other temps seem normal, it is normal for your PSU fan to be hotter than the back exit, especially under load. I've had PSU's die many times on me and this is always how I knew it was time for them to go. The only weird occurrence I've ever had was once the back power switch on my PSU failed and melted from the contacts. I wired up a new toggle switch and it was good to go.

Back