Random wireless drops...

Dalexx

Limp Gawd
So I've been battling this bug for over a year now and I just can't find a cause. There are lots of details and things I have tried, but I'll keep this brief and just hit the highlights.

The systems is an Intel i5-4670 (not overclocked) on a ASUSTeK Z97 board and now a TP-Link Archer T9E AC1900 pcie wireless adapter. All running the latest firmwares and drivers from the manufacturer. Connecting to a Linksys EA6900 router.

The problem is that randomly, meaning, once a hour, once a day, to 10 times a day, 5 time a hour etc (really random). The system will no longer able to access the router. I don't get a message that the Wifi link is down, but if I run a continuous ping, the ping to the router will time out anywhere from 3-15 pings.

I've went through 3 different wireless adapters, from a ASUS to a older Dlink to the brand new TP Link. I've changed which PCIe slot the wireless adapter was in.

I've changed 2.4Ghz wireless channels from 1 to 11 to 6 to auto. But the drops happen on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. I've moved the router to several different locations, and tested with the PC sitting 5 feet away

Due to a power spike, I've replaced the motherboard back in June of 2018. I've wiped the system and re-installed it twice now, first with Win10 Home and then with Win10 Pro.

Everything seems to point to it being just this one PC, as our phones never disconnect, nor does the PS4, nor does any other PCs or Bluray player that we use for streaming movies.

The final bit I'll add, is that I did find a way to recreate the problem on demand. That is to open up around 15-20 Web sites close together.(I use a VB script to open up 20 different websites with a click). The only catch here is it is limited just to wireless, if I hardwire (aka cat5 connection) the PC, the 20 websites trick doesn't work. The 20 websites trick also doesn't work on any of the other pcs with wireless connections, even the ones where I use an old 802.11a usb adapters.

If it's something in windows I'm curious why the other systems don't see it and if it's hardware, I'm curious what component it could be since I've tried 3 different adapters.

Thanks for any insights.

Whenever I have had drops like you are describing it has always been a router related issue (or the AP used), not on the client side.

Years ago I had a similar issue. I didn't have a ton of WiFi devices at the time, so it may not apply here... but wifi would just randomly drop for a few seconds, then come back.

Turns out it was when the neighbor upstairs would use their microwave oven. After several months I finally associated the "Ding" i could hear through the wall and the drop in WiFi.

Not saying it's necessarily a Microwave oven, just that a lot of things can cause external interference, and it's certainly possible depending on position that it could just be interfereing with one area and not the entirety of your WiFi coverage area - wireless phones and baby monitors are notorious, so are passive things like stucco (uses chicken wire) and metal studs. I've also had much better luck with external (USB) WiFi adapters than internal ones, with respect to interference. Can always put them on a USB extension cable and move them around without moving your entire PC around to see if signal changes.

Last edited:
If possible, just hard wire it. If not an option, get a remote antenna for the existing card. Maybe enough signal is blocked by being behind the case that it is marginal and just drops once in a while. Wondering cat, dog or kid that might be blocking the signal?

Your testing to date really seems to point at the card as the problem.

Another option. Connect the PC to a external WiFi router/AP in bridge mode.

Use 5Ghz only if possible - 2.4 is very congested and you shouldn't use it unless you absolutely have to (structure penetration).

Are you sure the driver that was installed for the wifi card isn't developed by microsoft? I had issues with wifi dropping from my xbox one, and any wireless windows pc when using a lot of bandwidth. Never from my macbook pro, Amazon fireTV, switch, etc.

On one of the PCs I made sure to install the manufacturer's driver instead of the default MS one and haven't had problems since. Maybe something wrong with the router, maybe the driver, or maybe both. Whatever the case, fixed it for me.

Last edited:
Back