Random system freezes

StupidDream

Weaksauce
i have a rig that is randomly freezing up. There doesn’t seem to be any pattern.

It’s a rather weird freeze too... all three screens continue to display the desktop. But the mining software disconnects and the mouse and keyboard no longer work. Also the computer is not found on the network.

Pressing the reset button works... but it takes about 7 seconds for the computer to actually reset

I have had this happen at completely random times. In fact one time the machine was just idling in windows 10 desktop, it wasn’t even Meininger anything and when I went to bring the mining software back online the machine ju I have had this happened at completely random times. In fact one time machine was just idling in windows 10 desktop, it wasn’t even mining or anything and when I went to bring the mining software back online the machine wasvlocked up?

I’m kinda leaning toward maybe something to do with C states?

posting details of the entire machine would definitively help... but as we are talking about mining I can guess it's something related to GPU clock, vRAM clock on one or several of the gpus causing a machine lock/restart/BSOD. same could be same if the CPU, System RAM is overclocked and you are mining with the CPU.. that's why I ask for entire machine details as we can even talk about a PSU going bad.

posting details of the entire machine would definitively help... but as we are talking about mining I can guess it's something related to GPU clock, vRAM clock on one or several of the gpus causing a machine lock/restart/BSOD. same could be same if the CPU, System RAM is overclocked and you are mining with the CPU.. that's why I ask for entire machine details as we can even talk about a PSU going bad.

Normally I would agree but I have tested it at stock clocks... seems to happen when it’s not doing on the CPU

I have only noticed this when the machine was left alone, the less the machine is doing, the more likely it is to happen… For instance I had disconnected my network cable to use on another machine for a moment… as a result neither the graphics cards nor the CPU did much, about 3 hours later I turned on my monitors (by pushing the buttons on the monitors) and they displayed the desktop, which was frozen… another time the rig was mining overnight, and about 4 hours after I went to bed I got a alert that the machine was down….

Yet I can run Prime 95 blend @ 4.8GHz for 2 days straight no problem… I am not getting any GPU memory errors, so I don’t think it’s related to the GPU clocks, but again I have tested this at stock clock as well

I7 2600k (tested at stock, 4.6GHz and 1.6GHz)

Asus p8z77v LK

8GB x 2 Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 9-9-9-27(1t) 1.5V (also tested with lower speeds and looser timings, also tried different ram)

EVGA CLC 240

Microcenter 480GB SSD

(2x) XFX RX 580 8GB GTS Black Edition (running in 8x/8x)

Antec TruePower 750 Classic (80+ Gold)

Windows 10 Pro

Could it be something to do with the hibernation / c states? Does the problem occur if you disable all the power saving in the bios?

OK. Several days of running without Intel speed step in abled and absolutely no crashes. Any ideas on how I can still have the function of throttling down for the power saving purposes but not crashing?

OK. Several days of running without Intel speed step in abled and absolutely no crashes. Any ideas on how I can still have the function of throttling down for the power saving purposes but not crashing?
Try applying positive vcore offset.

Back