Random stuttering in WoW? Need help please.

Dark12

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everyone.
Using the system in my sig I get tiny little stutters every fews seconds in WoW regardless of what setting I run the game at. I have upgraded video card drivers, defragmented my harddrive many times, and disabled all my UI mods.
Lowering my settings doesn't help.
Every other game I own does not have the problem. Has anyone heard of this?

Does it happen when you stand still in an area without other players?

Every once in a while I get that too, always thought/blamed it on my laggy dsl line. It usually occurs (or at least I notice it) when I'm running and looking around at the same time. Could it be your latency? Something downloading in the backgound?

I must add, I've only been playing a few months so the game is a relatively fresh install and I have not added any UImods.

Nothing in the background downloading.
Never thought it could be my internet, but it is pretty stable 6mbps dsl. Its sufficient for every other game I play online.
The WoW forums are generally filled with idiots, but yesterday I read that it could be that my computer is CPU limited.
Would it be smarter for me to buy an SSD or a Q9550? I was also thinking about adding another 250gig to my Raid 0.

A frame skip or stutter is very common in WoW. I get them here and there if I ride fast through a big city. You have to think how many individual armor textures the game has to load (especially a place like Dalaran which can have a couple hundred people at a time depending on server).

As far as what to upgrade, i'd say go for a SSD. When moving from a 160gb ide to a 500gb sata, I noticed a healthy reduction in framerate hiccups.

You don't have any programs open in the background do you? I know using firefox and wow eats up my memory. You seem to have everything covered. Make sure you go through your task manager to see what's running. Maybe there is some process chugging it.

Your system is fine...you don't need to upgrade unless something is faulty. I've played it on laptops with much worse specs than your system and it ran smooth.

Oh one thing I do with my WoW pretty much every day...If I start it in full screen and it feels sluggish, I switch to Windowed mode and it's super smooth. Then I either keep it in windowed or put it back at fullscreen and it's fine. Seems to happen when I hit lots of loading screens and jumping back and forth between fullscreen and windowed smooths it out.

Hey all.
Well I randomly decided to spend some extra cash I had laying around and I bought a Q9550. I also added another 250gig HD to my RAID0.
I just got done formatting so I still gotta get everything installed and then defrag before I can post how things are going.
So far the new processor is nothing short of badass though. :-P

EDIT: I only added the extra harddrive to my RAID cuz it was laying around. I think an SSD will be my next upgrade within the next couple months or so.

make sure you enable the quadcore fix although i think blizzard fixed it so its automatically enabled

In the Video Options of WoW. Do you have Vertical Sync checked or unchecked? Having it "checked" will help stop stutters and tears.

Just quit playing WoW.

Obligatory troll remark made.

Ok - have you tried running the repair on the game files? I had some problems a while back with stuttering and Blizz suggested running the repair. It actually resolved my problem.

Remember, WoW only uses 2 cores MAX by default and the only way to increase that is to edit the config.wtf file.

Also, the SSD would have been the better option to remove the stuttering as it's most likely due to textures and data loading in as you move or look around. An SSD makes an absolutely massive performance difference in WoW due to the amount of random reads WoW has. SSDs excel at this. Hard drives do not. 3x250GB hard drives in RAID0 will not come close to the performance of even a single SSD, let alone SSDs in RAID0.

Also, unless you get that Q9550 up to at least the speed your other dual core cpu was running, you will probably notice an actual decrease in performance.

Back