Random Shutdowns - PSU giving out?

Russ

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, quick question.

I've been running the rig in my sig for a few years now and it's mostly been great, but recently there have been a few hiccups.

Occasionally the power will just "blink" and instantly shut off the computer (it immediately restarts). I don't believe it is an issue with the power from the wall or a surge because no other devices have a problem (NAS, internet, lights, monitors all keep going just fine). It's happened with the computer in 2 different locations. Also when I say occasionally I mean it... it happens maybe once every month and has only happened a handful of times total.

I've been running this Seasonic S12 since 2005 or 2006 (predates even this S12II review which is the first Seasonic review I see on [H]!), and I'm leaning towards it as the culprit. Nothing lasts forever, after all.

I've been feeling a bit anxious about it since my last upgrade (I don't want it to give out for good and fry anything or leave me stranded), and this seems as good a time as any to upgrade.

Especially since Newegg has the Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum available for $99 AR right now. From the research I've done that seems like an extremely popular choice, since I want to stick with Seasonic. I would get the 660W but it doesn't have the same -$45 instant rebate atm.

Thoughts? Am I blaming the wrong part? If so, should I get the PSU anyway? ;)

what do you mean by the power will "blink" like you see lights flicker? If that's the case I don't think its the power supply but a brief interruption or drop in power. You rig pulls quite a bit more power than the other devices you listed and interruptions or drops are going to cause a restart on a rig like that, were the monitors and nas may have enough juice in their power supplies to briefly sustain them during the interruption.

If that's not the case then I would try replacing the power supply, it is pretty old.

if you have a spare psu try it on your rig and see if it does it. My ax860i was the culprit to my random PC shutdowns. was able to get it RMA.

also make sure its not your ram or video card

what do you mean by the power will "blink" like you see lights flicker?

No, that's the thing, nothing else flickers or shuts off, not even for a second. The "power" i was referring to was the power of the computer. It's like I flicked the switch on the back of the PSU for a second.

No, that's the thing, nothing else flickers or shuts off, not even for a second. The "power" i was referring to was the power of the computer. It's like I flicked the switch on the back of the PSU for a second.

Have you made sure its not bsoding and restarting?

Out of curiosity, do you have your PC on any kind of battery backup? If you have one available, that may also be something worth looking into. As some previous posters have mentioned, the PSU in your rig may be more susceptible to surges/drops than your other hardware, especially if it is running closer to its limit, which given its age, combined with your hardware, it may be.

I am having the same issue. Everything is working just fine and then for no apparent reason the computer just shuts down and re-starts and works like nothing ever happened.

PC keeps crashing/re-booting
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1824513

Try running the ultimate boot cd - I did and found no errors. so, it could be PSU or motherboard, which is why I'm here looking for a really good PSU diagnostic and motherboard diagnostic tester - does anybody know of any?

my system:

MB: MSI 790FX-GD70
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
RAM: 8g Mushkin 1600
GPU: Evga 760 SC 2g
PSU: Seasonic X-750w

Last edited:
Also check processor cooling. Try replacing the thermal paste, cleaning the heatsink, and so on.

I wouldn't expect your PSU to be the problem OP. Are there any events in the system log just before the system bombs?

I am having the same issue. Everything is working just fine and then for no apparent reason the computer just shuts down and re-starts and works like nothing ever happened.

PC keeps crashing/re-booting
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1824513

Try running the ultimate boot cd - I did and found no errors. so, it could be PSU or motherboard, which is why I'm here looking for a really good PSU diagnostic and motherboard diagnostic tester - does anybody know of any?

my system:

MB: MSI 790FX-GD70
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
RAM: 8g Mushkin 1600
GPU: Evga 760 SC 2g
PSU: Seasonic X-750w

Please start your own thread. Don't hijack this one.

I wouldn't expect your PSU to be the problem OP. Are there any events in the system log just before the system bombs?

Please start your own thread. Don't hijack this one.

Try reading my post next time, fool. I am having the same issue and I *DID* start my own thread, which you quoted. Stop being an idiot.

Try reading my post next time, fool. I am having the same issue and I *DID* start my own thread, which you quoted. Stop being an idiot.

Soooo, you're already getting help, and still hijackin this thread. Cool.

Back