Random restart problem

TekSomniaK

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 26, 2003
Messages
1,144
Hi I just put a hard drive(60gb IBM) from one of my systems into one of my older systems(T-Bird 1.4ghz, 512mb ram, ABIT KG7 mobo) where it originated. Anyways, I can't get the thing to boot up and stay in Windows. It started out freezing every few seconds (couldn't move mouse, everything was frozen for about 10-15 seconds, goes back to normal for about 5 seconds, then freezes again.) Now, when I boot up into Windows and sign in, it will be fine for a couple minutes then just randomly restart. I sometimes see a blue screen for a split second, made me think the memory had gone bad. I ran MemTest for about 15 minutes and no errors. Any ideas?
 
TekSomniaK said:
Hi I just put a hard drive(60gb IBM) from one of my systems into one of my older systems(T-Bird 1.4ghz, 512mb ram, ABIT KG7 mobo) where it originated. Anyways, I can't get the thing to boot up and stay in Windows. It started out freezing every few seconds (couldn't move mouse, everything was frozen for about 10-15 seconds, goes back to normal for about 5 seconds, then freezes again.) Now, when I boot up into Windows and sign in, it will be fine for a couple minutes then just randomly restart. I sometimes see a blue screen for a split second, made me think the memory had gone bad. I ran MemTest for about 15 minutes and no errors. Any ideas?

You should run MemTest for... I'd atleast let it run overnight.

Possible overheating? Is the case full of dust or anything? Maybe the harddrive is dying...
 
The hard drive works just fine in my other system. I tried switching out the ram it's currently using (3 sticks of 256mb pc2100) and tested each one individually. I then took 1 stick of brand new Geil 512mb pc3200 and the first time it worked perfect. It loaded up Windows and didn't have a stutter. Once I restarted, it gave another memory dump error message and restarted.
 
perhaps your board, though it has 3 slots for ram wont run stable with 3. try running 2 instead

though it does sound like it could be power related.
what kinda psu do you have? ... how many wattz?
 
It's a 300watt Enhance PSU. It only has to power the core components, hdd, cd drive, gf4 mx440, network adapter, and sound card. Up until yesterday it was powering an Abit VT7 (yeah I know, crap VIA) and a 2.4ghz P4, Ti4600. The only things I switched out were the mobo(Abit KG7 in place of the VT7), and video card (Gf4mx440 in place of the Ti4600). I ran memtest for 7 1/2 hours overnight, still no errors on the 3 memory modules. I have run the memory sticks on the KG7 for a very long time. I've only had the VT7 for a few months because my brother wanted to use my old 2.4Bghz. Would it be solved if I just reformatted?

The reason for the whole switch in the first place is because I wanted to use the 2.4ghz in the second computer I was putting in my room. I would also need the VT7 with it so I switched them out from my brother's(technically mine) computer. My brother is getting really hostile towards me because of this whole ordeal.
 
Back
Top