Random Reboots

Erik_C

n00b
Hey all

I'm having computer issues, but i guess i should post my specs first. I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 2500 with 512 DDR Ram, a Radeon 9600 Pro, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum plus front panel, 2 dvd drives, a tv tuner and one hard drive and my computer is randomly rebooting.

My drivers are all up-to-date... i've run up-to-date virus and spyware scans with them finding nothing... i've also run MemTest to check for RAM errors but it hasn't found any.

My Power Supply Voltage is as followed
Core VDD: 1.552 V
VCore: 1.664 V
Vdimm: 2.592 V
+5V: 4.865 V
+12V: 12.160 V
-12V: -12.281 V
-5V: -5.200 V
Vbat: 3.104V
5 VSB: 4.896 V

I've heard that this could be cause by a bad power supply but it looks like my power supply voltages are alright.

The odd thing about this is that the random rebooting used to happen when i had my old GeForce 4 in which i replaced with the Radeon. It continued to happen and then my hard drive crashed, so that got replaced... and it still happens.

Whenever it reboots it says that it might've been cause by a graphic driver problem... but i don't understand why it would happen with my GeForce 4 and then with my Radeon 9600... and especially since i have all my up-to-date drivers.

My case also isn't overheating either... my CPU is at 49C/120F and my systerm is at 39C/102F.

Programs also just randomly crash too... and for some odd reason i can't play most video games cause they end up crashing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

I would still say to swap out your PS. A failing PS can cause all kinds of strange problems.

Are you running XP?

Do you have auto restart disabled?

So far it sounds like the nvidia and ati drivers are conflicting thus causing Windows to blue screen :eek:

^ maybe...

The hard drive that crashed, was that your main system drive? Have you reinstalled Windows since you changed Vid card manufacturers?

gwai lo said:
Are you running XP?

Do you have auto restart disabled?

So far it sounds like the nvidia and ati drivers are conflicting thus causing Windows to blue screen :eek:

I am running XP

Auto restart was disabled... i re-enabled it

since my hard drive, which was my main system drive, crashed and thus was replaced... i no longer have the nvidia driver on my computer... especially since i had to start with scratch on the new hard drive (reinstalled Windows and everything else)

Erik_C said:
I am running XP

Auto restart was disabled... i re-enabled it

since my hard drive, which was my main system drive, crashed and thus was replaced... i no longer have the nvidia driver on my computer... especially since i had to start with scratch on the new hard drive (reinstalled Windows and everything else)

Turn off autorestart and give us the error you are getting. I would also try a different PS just to play it safe. You can always return it and you can try it without taking your old one out (just unplug it all and set the new one on top).

i think i'm going to pick up a new PSU soon... probably an Antec TruePower 430W

here's the error i get

STOP: 0x0000008E (0XC0000005, 0XBF802C72, 0XAE768CA0, 0X00000000)

win32k.sys - Address BF802C72 base at BF800000, DateStamp 41107f7a

BAD_POOL_CALLER

STOP: 0X000000C2 (0X00000007, 0X00000CD4, 0X005f0053, 0XE100B858)

Hey all... here's my latest crash

IRQL_NO_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0X0000000A (0X9846F314, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X804EBDC5)

Well, I am surprised no one else has posted this, but one of the common problems that causes random reboots with inconsistent errors is bad RAM.

Go into your BIOs and turn off the fast RAM test. All fast RAM test does is verify the quantity of RAM, it does no checking for functionality. The regular RAM POST checks the RAM for errors. It isn't complete as Memtest86, but it is a start.

If you get no errors on a RAM POST, then download Memtest86 and run it. Zero errors is the only acceptable result.

Sorry. I missed that in your orignal post.

Well, you may very well have a bad motherboard. Probably a flaky northbridge.

Try eliminating what the problem could be (anything connected to the system at this point)... to what the problem is.

Remove all the extra stuff you've got... tear down the computer, remove all the extras, and just boot up the PC with Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Hard-drive, Video, boot up in safe mode and run 3dmark and superpi for a few hours, see if it's stable... if it is, then boot in normal mode and try stressing the computer.

Let us know if that helps any. If the problem remains, I would attempt to find the following:

1. Older drivers for motherboard, or drivers from another company (IE nVidia vs Manufacturer)
2. 3rd Party drivers for video card... (IE Omega/etc)
3. PSU rails look perfect... but could still be dipping under load unacceptably. Try a different PSU... random reboots are often caused by the PSU, but if you don't have a replacement handy, then I would try this last.

Back