Random reboots.

RP_JAKE454

Limp Gawd
i have an Asus mobo A7V333 which is acting very strange.. at any time it randomly restarts by itself..ive checked the bios and everything is normal...all temps are normal also.. im wondering if it had to do with my led cables that i took out and put back in wrong cuz now the front power button doesnt light up...i dont think this can cause problems but im clueless at this point ive checked for viruses and am about to do a system restore... if u have any questions about anything that will help post/ask!

Although its doubtful that incorrectly plugged in LED lights would cause this behaivior, if thats the only thing that changed with your system when this all started happening, I'd recommend plugging them in correctly before doing the other major troubleshooting.

If that doesn't have an effect (and I don't think it will).
What kind of PSU are you using? Is it a quality model or a generic model that came with the case you have everything in? How long have you had your PSU? What is its wattage rating? What is its rating on each individual rail 12V, 5V, 3.3V (and the combined maximum wattage for the 3.3V + 5V or similar info that is probably also printed on the side of the PSU). When you check in the bios, goto the system monitoring section and leave it there for a couple minutes. Do the voltage rails coming from the PSU fluctuate much or are any of the rails significantly (more that 5~10%) different from what they should be running at for instance 3.3V is at 3.0V = 10% deviation from what it should be.

Assuming your PSU is a high quality brand (Antec, Enermax, PCP&C, etc.) and check out with the voltage rails and the wattage for each rail is high enough, then you should move to checking out your ram. Since you said your LED's are plugged in wrong, I'm suspecting you've been messing around with the motherboard and components recently. It is possible that ESD could have occurred thus damaging components in your system while you were last in it, or maybe a component that was already weak or failing is finally giving out. You might run Memtest86 for at least 10 passes to make sure your ram isn't generating errors (which can sometimes lead to random reboots).

If neither of these suggestions pan out, Let me know what your full system specs are and whether any components were changed out recently just before all the problems started happening.

my PSU is an enermax 350w. the voltage and everything seems to be fine..i think the problem is maybe due to a virus or my ASUS borad because i have heard of others having problems with their asus boards doing the same by thinking they r overheating.. i tried the memtest thing and i couldnt figure out how to use it.. :rolleyes: back to the virus thing though, i am scanning my pc from top to bottom but im now thinking that it may have to do with something i did in norton to fix a windows problem incorrectly. it usually only shuts down when im online, a notcie comes up saying it has to shut down IE because there was a problem and i send an error report..then it usually shuts the computer down or i can just get right back on the internet..im hoping its with my internet and no components because i just baught a new mobo and i cant afford new memory right now :mad: ok well thanks a lot.. o yea..and when i install my new mobo with a fresh copy of windows xp and everything it shouldnt do this anymore right? well..considering it wasnt my memory.. :confused:

Back