Random reboots, won't turn back on

xavierq

Gawd
Joined
Jul 27, 2000
Messages
562
So my computer likes to reboot at random lately. Sometimes while playing CoD, sometimes while browsing the web listening to MP3s, sometimes in the middle of the night or while I'm at work, when all I'm running is AIM.

But I decided I was going to try to see if there was anything in the bootlog in bios (there wasnt) but I found out that if I hit the power button to try to shut it off and bring it back up so I can get into bios, it just shuts off and is dead. I can hit the button, I can hit the switch in the back, nothing will bring it back up. I have to power it down, and wait for the MB to completely power off (the green onboard LED to run out of power and turn off) before it will come back up.

Any clue what could be causing it?

P4 3gig, intel MB, 512 DDR, XP SP1 (don't wanna upgrade while it's rebooting at random)
 
It's been running for almost a year without this happening, it's a recent development, last couple months. I know it's a decent PSU, and the cooling is good. Hadn't thought of dust in the PSU. Will try cleaning it out (should prob give the whole thing a cleaning just in case)
 
Random rebooting = bad memory alot of times

Also what are your temps inside your computer
 
I'll try to find my copy of memtest and see if that's the problem. It's rebooting more lately, though. Seems like every day I come home and it's rebooted. It rebooted while I was just chatting online, so I brought it back up and played Call of Duty, and it rebooted twice inside of twenty minutes. I went into CMOS to check the temps there, and they say 54C for the processor, and 34C and 43C for what it calls zone 1 and 2. It's an Intel board (the one that came with the Retail Edge kit last year).
 
Took out the PSU to clean it today, and realized one of the fans wasn't spinning. Traced it to see where it plugged into, so I could replace it, and found it didn't connect to anything. So now it does, and everything works fine. Don't know how it came disconnected without my having been in the case, but at least it's a cheap fix.
 
Back
Top