Random Reboots; won't post unless clear CMOS or reseat RAM

TAXMANCOMETH

Weaksauce
DFI LT P35 T2R issues: never got it to work properly with S3, so reverted to S1. That fixed the issues I was previously having with waking from sleep, and also the issue with the computer restarting w/in 5 seconds of my shutting it down.

New issues: in addition to getting the occasional black screen flicker and graphics driver failure w/ my 4850 (and the occassional BSOD referencing ATI drivers), when I cold boot, or occassionally when it reboots after BSOD, the computer will hang during post. It always happens just after it reports my CPU speed, but before it shows the amount of memory present. Clearing the CMOS by holding the reset and power buttons doesn't fix it. Clearing the CMOS via jumper OR reseating the ram will get it to post and boot properly. I reseated the ram twice to fix it, and the GPU too just for good measure. RAM passed memtest86+ for 50 minutes, or 1+ passes. (UPDATE: simply turning the switch at the back of the PSU off and back on also works. It occurs to me that I do this in the course of resetting the CMOS or reseating the ram. What's going on here??? Any thoughts?)

This issue happens whether or not the board is OC'd.

Maybe you should strip it down and check the board,you can refit the cooler before you put the board in the case,i usually do.

Removing that cooler is the last thing I want to do, as it might break the next time I put it on. It was a bear! I'm modding my mobo tray next time I change mobos so I can use a back bracket w/out removing mobo.

See edit - turning PSU off and back on will also get it to post. This certainly isn't normal... anyone else had this experience or have suggestions?

I run into oddness like this with every DFI board I get. The last one (NF4) simply needed different memory. IS there any way you could try that cheaply?

Christ. I just paid extra for this 1066 rated stuff. I don't have any other memory hanging around. I might grab some from newegg and give it a shot as a last resort. Any other thoughts?

Are there any different BIOS files you can try? I know some enthusiasts tended to make some that were more stable than Oscar's.

It's been working fine for a couple days now. I HATE these intermittent problems.

Who is this Oscar fellow?

I gave up on my last DFI mobo. That thing was a horrendous nightmare.

It's been working fine for a couple days now. I HATE these intermittent problems.

Who is this Oscar fellow?

Oscar Wu. He writes the BIOS for DFI. He is considered a god amongst overclockers, but to those of us that want everyday stable BIOS, he's a thorn in our sides. Unfortunately, I'll have to go back to DFI since they're releasing a Crossfire mATX, and no one else seems to want that market.:confused:

Back