• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Random Reboots after 4870x2 install

Jasonx82

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Aug 14, 2004
Messages
6,706
I just installed a 4870x2 and im getting random reboots. I can play CS Source for a few mins and when im about to load back into windows it hangs and restarts.. I was just browseing the web and it just rebooted again. Anyone having similar issues? Any suggestions?

I had a 4850 that ran just fine before installing this card. As well as a 4870 and a GTX 280FTW edition. With no issues ever..

Specs in sig. Running latest cat 8.8 my psu is native 8 pin, I also have a card cooler (2x 80mm silencer fans blowing fromt the side directly onto the 4870x2)
 
Sounds like a power problem. Can you try using another circuit in your room/house?
 
Also As I write this post. MY CCC control panel shows my GPU activity @ 97% in windows with just Trillian, IE open, and my temp at 85c :confused:
 
I have the same problem, and similar HW as yours. Something funny is going on and it has nothing to do with power supplies.

I had a QX9650 with a DX38BT and had to turn the memory down to 1066 to get it to stop it. The system used to overclock to 3.75MHz with a 375MHz FSB and memory at 1500.

Then I most recently tried it with a QX9770 with a DX48BT2 and had to turn the memory down to 1333 to get it to stop it.

And all my memory tests ran just fine with memtest86+ and Prime95 for about an hour at 1333/1600 on the two boards respectively. But then if I play a game or watch a movie, BAM random reboot.

I used to have an 8800GTX installed with no issues at all.

I'm using the official 8.8 drivers with a clean install of Vista. I tried Vista 32-bit on the first board, and Vista 64-bit on the second board.

Here are my specs:

HP Blackbird 002 Case with 1.1kW Topower Supply
Visiontek 4870X2
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer PCI (HP OEM)
4GB (2 x 2GB) Corsair TW3X4G1600C9DHX

I'm going to link to this post from the XtremeSystems ongoing DX38/48BT thread too.
 
Well, when I first got my 4870x2, I experienced freezing and video signal loses, a problem similar like yours. I fixed it by updating the BIOS. Have you updated your motherboard BIOS yet?
 
Yes, of course...

I have no idea why slowing down the memory bus would help stop a 4870X2 from causing random reboots. There must be some strange incompatiblity between it and the Intel MB. Might be similar to the problem the card was having with DFI X38/48 MBs.

XtremeSystems seems to be down right now. We need to see if there are anymore DX38/48BT board owners with 4870X2s with this issue.
 
Well, when I first got my 4870x2, I experienced freezing and video signal loses, a problem similar like yours. I fixed it by updating the BIOS. Have you updated your motherboard BIOS yet?

Using latest bios for dx48bt2.. As well everythign running stock and I have decent to good airflow in my case
 
I had the same issue with my 4870x2. I spent a few days troubleshooting and couldn't figure it out. No issues with power supply (PCPC Silencer 750) or airflow. Also tried different catalyst driver versions. I gave up, RMA'd the card, and went back to my 9800gx2.
 
Check you have the Realtek audio drivers installed - they don't install correctly. And may be a conflict if using another PCIe audio card. Yes, audio... I had reboots due to audio conflicts on the PCIe.
 
I have the onboard audio disabled. I have a PCI (not Express) X-Fi installed. XtremeSystems forums were still down the last time I checked.

Still running rock solid at 1333 instead of 1600.
 
The problem isn't specific to that mobo though. I was having the issue with an Asus P5K Deluxe. It definitely may have something to do with bus speeds as indicated above. My system is overclocked and I didn't check to see if default speeds would have stopped the reboots. (Frankly if that was the only fix, I would have RMA'd the card anyhow since I'm not willing to make a huge sacrifice in CPU speed just to get the card working.)
 
Yes, of course...

I have no idea why slowing down the memory bus would help stop a 4870X2 from causing random reboots. There must be some strange incompatiblity between it and the Intel MB. Might be similar to the problem the card was having with DFI X38/48 MBs.

XtremeSystems seems to be down right now. We need to see if there are anymore DX38/48BT board owners with 4870X2s with this issue.

I can verify that the 4870 X2 works fine on the DX48BT2 as I tested my 4870 X2 on that board when I was having other issues with it on my main gaming box.
 
I can verify that the 4870 X2 works fine on the DX48BT2 as I tested my 4870 X2 on that board when I was having other issues with it on my main gaming box.

My works fine too. Just not at 1600MHz DDR3 speed! Clocking the RAM down to 1333MHz solves the problem. I'm getting tempted to put the 8800GTX back in just to prove the ATI card is causing this instability in the RAM. It makes absolutely no sense to me that they should be related, but they certainly seem to be.
 
My works fine too. Just not at 1600MHz DDR3 speed! Clocking the RAM down to 1333MHz solves the problem. I'm getting tempted to put the 8800GTX back in just to prove the ATI card is causing this instability in the RAM. It makes absolutely no sense to me that they should be related, but they certainly seem to be.

I've never been able to get my DX48BT2 to run the RAM much beyond 1333MHz anyway. 1600MHz has been out of the question entirely despite the RAM being more than capable of doing it.
 
Although you didn't have the problem before, I would try putting the 4870 or GTX 280 back in to see if the problem still occurs. If not, I would RMA the 4870x2...
 
I had the exact same issue with my 280gtx, It turned out my 1 k quad was an older 4 rail model and once I replaced it with a new single rail 750quad ..........bang problem solved

The 1 k was fine its just that the amps were split up. Fine for a server but not for a beast like the 280 and or 4870x2


Hope that helps
 
Back
Top