Random Power Loss

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kavorka19, Oct 9, 2018.

1. kavorka19

kavorka19 n00bie

Greetings,

I've been having a machine issue lately that I can't quite pinpoint. My rig will randomly lose power with no blue screen or warning/error messages. When power is restored the only events are some random DCOM related items and an "improper shutdown" flag. I was convinced it was a hard drive issue but I've run a few diag tools and ruled that out. I'm now looking at a temperature/voltage issue and was wondering if someone could tell me if this hwmonitor output looks normal'ish. (see attached txt file)

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Kwaz

Kwaz Whine & Cheezy

Try a different PSU

kavorka19 and Fix Me like this.
  3. sinisterDei

sinisterDei Gawd

In addition to the PSU, which should absolutely be your primary target, your motherboard is old. You should perform a visual inspection and try and see if anything looks 'off'. Your caps are all solid caps, so in theory they shouldn't bulge and leak like their non-solid cousins, but that doesn't mean they can't have problems and literally explode out the top.

kavorka19 likes this.
  4. kavorka19

kavorka19 n00bie

Thank you both for your input. I'll head down the PSU route after taking a closer look at my motherboard.

5. kavorka19

kavorka19 n00bie

No blown caps from what I can tell.

I'm thinking its a CPU thermal issue, now. If I idle on the BIOS screen I can watch the CPU temp increase from 80 all the way up to about 103, then it loses power. The issue got worse when I blew out the radiator and fan for my Corsair H90 CPU liquid cooling block. Sometimes when I start up my rig I can hear the pump make a gurgle noise, but it goes away usually after a short while (I can't see any evidence of a leak). I can feel liquid flowing through the piping so I think the pump is fine? I've tried reapplying thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5) several times with no lasting success. I've tried rearranging the fan/radiator config. It's currently mounted to the back of my case with my fan pulling to exhaust out the back.

Is there a way to test the H90 to know if it's toast? I ordered a new HSF but I'd prefer to use the Corsair if possible.

6. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

feel the hoses and find the hot one, follow it to the rad and then feel around the inlet, feel any heat in the rad? if not there is a clog in the barb. happened to my h60, I refurbed it a couple years ago and now its doing it again. something in the coolant solidified and blocked it.