Random Musings on a Smallish ATX Case with Good Airflow

whakojacko

n00b
Ive looked far and wide for a design like the following but cant seem to find one. The concept is (relatively) simple..instead of making the case short (in height) a la PC-A05..make the case short in width (around 15" or so), while keeping a more standard height (17-18"). The main advantage of such a design (as so far as I have constructed it) is allowing front fans to blow air directly onto the graphics card(s) instead of hiding them behind the 5.25s/3.5s which restricts airflow undesirably. In addition, this means that there is massive amounts of space for front fans..enough for a 12cm + 2 pairs of 8cms as below So without further ado, I present my crummy not-to-scale MSPaint drawings like so...
original-1.jpg

This provides plenty of space for HDs..with 4 3.5" slots and probably more (since all 7 pci slots arent going to stick past mobo, and this would be configurable). However, the main constraint here is the top...only 2 5.25"s and no room for larger-than-spec psus, which are pretty common now with double gpu setups. Another realization is that most systems dont use more than 1 drive...thus add height of another 5.25" (bringing total height to >19") on top of the psu, and grow the psu out (meaning the remaining 5.25"s are not long enough to host disc drives...but see above)
topmod.jpg

Width would be pretty standard at ~8.25". Would be easy to mod to micro atx with a corresponding drop in height (due to only 4 slots) and a corresponding drop in front space for fans (~60mm)
Looking for comments/criticism from knowledgeable people (aka not me)

Back