Random lockups and reboots while gaming

Q-Ball

Weaksauce
This problem has cropped up in just the last couple of days or so. When I'm playing a game, I can play for a certain amount of time, and then the computer locks up or reboots. I'm kind of thinking heat my be the culprit here. The ASUS Probe utility tells me that my board temperature is 40C while my CPU temperature is actually lower (about 38C). Is this temperature abnormally high? These temps were measured immediately after reboot. And at idle, my board temp is reported at 38C while the CPU is idling at 35C. I know that its not the CPU, with temps like that, but could it be that the chipset isn't being cooled effectively? I haven't done anything major tweak-wise to my comp in the last week, so I don't think its a software problem. Any input would be appreciated.

Specs are in sig. Thanks.

Update: I decided to run Prime 95, couldn't even get through an interation. After 6 hours of memtest yesterday, I came home to 168 errors (most of them in test 5). The weird thing is this: I've been running my memory at stock for the month I've had this system, and when I put it together, I passed memtest and Prime just fine. Is it possible for memory to just "go bad" this quickly? I haven't had a chance to test each DIMM separately, but I intend to do that tomorrow.

try doing memtest to see its your ram. also try checking your powersupply turn on your comp and feel behind the psu to see if the exhaust fan is coming out warm or hot. if its either of the two i would highly suspect its your psu.

the warmer they run or hotter the voltage output degrades greatly. ie you get around 200+watts opposed to 430w something to take in consideration.

probably time for a new psu. check up in the powersupply section it should help you narrow down your options.

I am getting errors in memtest...a lot of them. I'm trying to test the dimms individually to see if its one or the other or both of them causing errors.

Back