Random "lockup" while playing WoW

gamz247

Gawd
Every once in a while, when playing World of Warcraft, the screen will just freeze. The strange thing about it is that I can still move my mouse around the screen (but not click any icons), I can type commands into the keyboard and have them execute while I'm frozen, and I'll still hear game/battle sounds. After 20-30 seconds, everything will lock up, and I'll hear a noise rapidly repeating, and then things will return to "normal". I guess I'm trying to figure out if I'm just stressing my video card or what.

The specs for my system are at the top of my sig, and I have a ViewSonic VX2025wm 20.1" widescreen LCD. I play the game at 1680x1050, 24-bit color, 4x multisampling and all in-game graphics options maxed, with the exception of weather. I'm using the beta 91.28 drivers from nVidia with the new control panel, but this problem was also occurring when I was using the current 84.21 drivers. I have the card options set manually, with most optimizations on, except anisotropic map filter optimization (cuz it looks funky on sand). I'd say the settings are currently closer to "Performance" than "Quality". Occasionally I alt-tab out of the game to look at the temperature report, and see that the card's getting up to 80C, with an ambient temperature over 55C. Normally the temps are at 57C/41C.

Any thoughts about what could be done to alleviate this problem? This seems to be the only game this occurs in (played Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil over the weekend without a lockup like this). Thanks.

if it "returns to normal", as you say, I wouldn't really think its the vid card but as we all know lower temps the better. what I was leaning to was the *.net connection. I've had exactly what you've mentioned in guild wars and that's what its been

g'luk

G'ßöö said:
if it "returns to normal", as you say, I wouldn't really think its the vid card but as we all know lower temps the better. what I was leaning to was the *.net connection. I've had exactly what you've mentioned in guild wars and that's what its been

g'luk
You think the internet connection could be the culprit? My connection's flaky sometimes, but I've never had the game completely freeze like this before.

just offering suggestions :) ....since movements are being registered over the connection it might? cheers!

G'ßöö said:
just offering suggestions :) ....since movements are being registered over the connection it might? cheers!
I think I just stop when this happens, so I don't know for sure if I still can move around while frozen. If it happens again, I'll try to remember to do that.

And, one thing I forgot to mention, is that sometimes I do have some graphical errors when I come out of one of these locks. Like the other day I had a lockup and afterward the icons for Prayer of Spirit and Prayer of Fortitude were the default Gnome and Dwarf avatars. They returned to normal after thee buffs were refreshed. I've also seen SCT (scrolling combat text) text come out jumbled, and had my loot window all screwed up once. Dunno if that changes your synposis of the situation. Maybe I'll post on the Technical Support forum... see if they have anything to say.

well then..I'd go that extra mile with all hardware to ensure cables, temps and fans. g'luk =)

Back