Random Freezing - pullin my hair out

Volume

2[H]4U
I'm at wit's end here... I've reformatted, ran memtest, prime95, tried all kinds of drivers... my computer keeps freezing up at random times! Sometimes it'll go for a day without a problem, and sometimes it will freeze up several times. :mad:

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated

so if it ain´t software it´s hardware, you have to remove one part of your pc at a time and replace it with another, that you know works well, and test it to see if it freezes.
Could be your PSU is not giving the correct voltages try replacing it. It could also be more serious, your mobo, or vid card, try updating the bios, try replacing your current vid card with another and test your rig. Could be your cpu, make sure the heatsink is properly attached to it and that thermal paste is used, check also the temps and see if there are normal.

I had an incident just this past week of this and was resolved today. Take this advice with a grain of salt as this was on an older system but....

Chipset was overheating. This was on an old skt 370/slot 1 motherboard so like I stated above "take this advice with a grain of salt". There was nothing on the chipset to begin with and upon putting a passive heatsink on it, problem fully resolved. I am leaning toward hardware problems.

I agree, has to be a hardware problem OR power issue.

bad power supply should be easy to test, or do you have low power/brown out's frequently?

Most likely the motherboard. I had the "random freeze-up's at random time intervals" when the capacitor(s) started leaking.

I agree, has to be a hardware problem OR power issue.

bad power supply should be easy to test, or do you have low power/brown out's frequently?

Most likely the motherboard. I had the "random freeze-up's at random time intervals" when the capacitor(s) started leaking.

I'm not very familiar with the term but there are moments where the lights in my room will dim for a second and come back up.

I'm not very familiar with the term but there are moments where the lights in my room will dim for a second and come back up

WHAT !! dude that´s bad, u have to have a voltage stabilizer otherwise you´d be playing with fire, and u know what it is said about playing with fire right? if u play with fire, u can join the friggin´ circus... or was it something else

or was it something else

Nope... that was it;)

OP, listen to what leSLIe said, it's true. You need to find a stable power source for your machine. If you have no choice but to use the power source in your room , invest in a high quality ups... and I mean REALLY high quality. I would, however, strongly suggest you move your rig to another room, one with a stable power source.

Nope... that was it;)

OP, listen to what leSLIe said, it's true. You need to find a stable power source for your machine. If you have no choice but to use the power source in your room , invest in a high quality ups... and I mean REALLY high quality. I would, however, strongly suggest you move your rig to another room, one with a stable power source.

Hehe.. well, I think this stuff happens when someone turns something on somewhere else in the house like a vacuum, etc. Should I have an electrician come by?

hehehe. sounds to me like a power problem, try getting a new PSU

My room does the same thing when the air conditioner turns on:rolleyes: I had freeze ups to and I replaced the chipset heatsink and all is well now, of course i was ocing on ds3 which tends to get really hot

Back