Random freeze & loud static - how to pinpoint problem?

Charr

n00b
Joined
Aug 9, 2010
Messages
1
I put together this system almost a year ago and it's been great except for one problem.

Randomly, it locks up and loud, crackling static blasts through my headphones.

It's difficult to track the problem down because it does seem to be very random. Sometimes it happens during a game, while other times it will happen while I'm sitting on my desktop doing nothing. Not only that, but it is infrequent. It may happen twice in the same day, or not at all for a couple weeks.

The crash produces nothing in windows event logs aside from an unexpected reboot. I've run memtest overnight and it didn't report any errors.

I could swap out video cards but with its infrequent nature, it might not crash for weeks even though the problem is still there.

Are there any more diagnostics I can do to try and narrow this down? I was hoping it was a RAM problem as finding it with memtest would have been easy enough, but no luck there.

It's infrequency has lulled me into just living with it, but I'd really like to fix it if I can. Those blasts of loud static never get any less jarring.


Anyway, my system specs are:

MOBO: MSI NF750-G55
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 (no OC or unlocking)
RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2) DDR3 1333 (no OC)
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750w
GPU1: PNY GeForce GTS250 512mb
GPU2: PNY GeForce GTS250 512mb
 
Back
Top