random disconnects with router(s)

chronic9

Supreme [H]ardness
I bought a D-link 524 about half a year ago its been working fine for the past 5 months and all of a sudden last month started having these random disconnect issues. the connection would drop for like 5 - 10 seconds and then reconnect and work fine after that, until it happened again. sometimes it would drop a few times within a hour. I RMAed the router to D-link and it still does the same thing just more randomly. I jumped on a FAR offer on a US robotics MAXg router thinking it would resolve my issue. but the same thing still happens. i installed the router today and it disconnected about 4 times today.

I googled my issue and it appears it happens to different brands of routers besides D-link and USR. Linksys and netgear happen to have the same issue. a few of the forum thread that i read talked about some DNS refreshing that the ISP does every so often.
This happens on two 2 PCs that are both wired and run XP SP2. I dont know if this happens with my wifi connection, since my laptop is usually off at home. I am thinking of just buying a pure wired router and see what happens with that.

i wasnt able to find any fixes on 20+ threads that i read, does any1 know of a way how to resolve this issue?

Have you contacted your ISP? If you have had the problem with more than one router, you may have cable modem or wiring issues.

If your cable line is run above ground, squirrels eating partially through cables can cause issues like that.

A recent study showed that 14% of all WAN connection issues are caused by rodents.

FEAR the squirrel. :)

i live in a 26 story high rise, so i doubt its the squirels..... mayb pigeons? I am gonna call road runner tomm. and cross my fingers to get someone smart on the phone. is there a polite way to ask for some1 smarter when calling RR and such?

LOL, i was just starting to look in this part of the forum for my issue, Moved about 4 months ago to a road runner area (was using Adelphia), they hooked up a Scientific Atlanta cable modem with digital phone support. Well using my Phoebe Octopus router started randomly getting screwed up every few days since road runner was hooked up, mind you i used the same router with a toshiba cable modem with adelphia for over a year with 0 problems!

I always had to unplug and plug it back in and it would for fine for a few days then do the problem again, i just started to try and figure it out yesterday, so far i just looked for a firmware upgrade from phoebe, mine was from 2003, this one is from 2004, so since i updated my firmware i haven't had an issue yet, but keeping an eye out for it, if it happens again i'm gonna be calling road runner about it cause it can only be them or the cable modem, or maybe a line issue from outside. I also know it isn't my onboard NIC (which i know wasn't the prob) cause i just got a better motherboard with onboard NIC and still was getting the problem with the router.

Either way, if it fails again i'll post back if it was a firmware issue, have you udated all firmware?

Back