Random crashing in WoW

gamz247

Gawd
I really enjoy playing this game... except for one thing: the crashing. Seems like I can't even get thru a quest, or get to another town, without it crashing at least once. My system specs are in my sig... running Windows XP SP2 and nVidia's 66.93 graphics drivers. I went to another version of the drivers and it actually worked quite well, but I don't remember which (they were WHQL though). Anyway, here's what I've been getting:

Critical errors in sound.MPQ, texture.MPQ, patch.MPQ, delete[], <headptr>.blockcount (or something like that) and BSODs because of DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL, nv4_disp.dll and portcls.sys.

I even reformatted yesterday, and have since gotten one crash with no reason and a portcls.sys BSOD.

Also, that WowErrorAE program just doesn't seem to work. The status at the bottom says "Sending", but I never see any activity.

So, anyone running 66.93s and not experiencing these problems? Anyone seen the number of problems go down after switching to an "unofficial" nVidia driver set, or have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Your experience is not uncommon. I've had it, and many other annoying crashes. I'm running a 6800GT and same driver as you as well. One thing that seems to have improved the situation is lowering the overclock on my vid. With everything else, a core clock of 425 works great. WoW is, apparently, more sensitive. I've lowered it down to 400 and that seems to have resolved the problem. I've crashed twice since then, but not with that error you got, and much less frequently. In fact, at a core clock of 425, I would get very long pauses as if the game was loading a bunch of textures, or there was some thrashing going on. After lowering the clock speed, those pauses are not as bad, and I'm pretty sure they are just normal pauses to load new textures and such.

You might want to check the WoW forums. If I recall correctly, there was a long thread on that. Search on the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL phrase.

I'm in the same situation. Using the current Nvidia drivers and the game crashes every so often. I usually get a video corruption and my pc automatically reboots. My 6800 GT is operating at stock speed. However the rest of my system is o/ced. Yes the error reporting program doesn't work. If you let sit for a while, the mesage, unable to send pops up. Its weird, Ive played other more graphically intensive games such as Doom 3 and HL2 without any problems, but then again I don't play as long with those games. With WOW, I play the game longer like 2-4 hours. I was in the open beta, and I do kind of remember talk of a memory leakage issue. I wonder if maybe the game is running out of memory.

Yeah, I think I was overclocked to 393/1080 before the reformat, but I think I'll just run at stock speed until I get everything working to my satisfaction. And unfortunately, I can't search the WoW forums until I get home.

not trying to hijack this thread but i just posted one with some links to my blizzard forum posts- in case anyone wants to check out some more detailed info.

This puppy

What is the error # you are getting? There should be a 3 digit error code which would narrow down culprits. I was getting a lot of error 131 memory problems even though I've never had a problem with any other game. After swallowing my pride and doing a Memtest run, I found one of my Corsair TwinX modules was causing all the errors (even at completely stock system speeds). I took that stick out and can now run the game fine overclocked. So I am getting my RAM replaced in hopes that I finally get 2 completely good sticks (this is my second RMA on the memory).

Wow used to BSOD on me at least once a night, often multiple times. The culprit? I had installed a Soudblaster live card from a dell machine (SB0200) in my custom rig and there is a known issue with this card or it's driver set, even though it worked fine for every other game. Removed the card and i'm back to normal. Shrug.

I ran memtest86 on somone's suggestion earlier and my RAM is groovy. I also dont have a soundblaster I use the onboard Realtek AC'97 audio which might not be the coolest but it has no problems.

Usually I get a hard reboot but after switching out nvidia drivers left and right I have been getting freezes and the occasional crash that gets caught. I got #131 and a #0.

There was a fix for problems such as this in the WoW fourms somewhere ... other then that ... have u tried switching to openGL mode. I know that helped some people.

the@ntipop said:
What is the error # you are getting? There should be a 3 digit error code which would narrow down culprits. I was getting a lot of error 131 memory problems even though I've never had a problem with any other game. After swallowing my pride and doing a Memtest run, I found one of my Corsair TwinX modules was causing all the errors (even at completely stock system speeds). I took that stick out and can now run the game fine overclocked. So I am getting my RAM replaced in hopes that I finally get 2 completely good sticks (this is my second RMA on the memory).
I get mostly Error #132 and #0. I really hate it when it finds an error in patch.MPQ, because that's a real showstopper, and I have to reboot my machine to play again.

I've done various tests on my memory: Memtest86 3.2, Memtest86+ 1.40 and the Windows Memory Diagnostic, and my RAM has passed each with flying colors. I've run Norton Disk Doctor and CHKDSK on my hard drive, and they have not found any bad sectors. Norton AntiVirus scan turned up nothing.

I installed the "Audio Package Driver", correctly, earlier this morning, but because of server maintenance, I was unable to test it out. I'm using the 67.22 WHQL certified nVidia graphics drivers, instead of the "official" 66.93 drivers... one doesn't seem to be better than the other right now.

When I left for work, I had Prime95 running the "Blend" torture test, with my virtual memory set at "System managed size". For some reason Prime doesn't want to run that test without virtual memory... perhaps I'll set it manually to 512-1024, since 1.5GB of virtual memory seems like a waste. I'm fairly sure that when I get home, Prime will still be running.

Maybe I will try out OpenGL mode tonite. I guess it really can't get any worse.

Back