Random Crashes and Errors

[F8]

Gawd
I'm not overclocking anything. My comp will run fine for weeks at a time with no issues, and then randomly I will have some blue screen and crashes. I thought it might be my OS install needing a refresh, or possibly some virii or something that wasn't being detected. So I reinstalled 8.1 last week. Today it crashed, so I decided to run memtest. Within the first minute I had like 1300 errors. I took out both sticks of ram and tried them separately, and although I didn't let the test complete, there were no errors in the first minute like it was doing previously. Then I retested with both sticks and let it go for over 20 minutes without any errors, when it previously was spitting out a ton of errors within the first minute. Do you think I just needed to reseat the ram? Is that something that you periodically have to do? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Do you think I just needed to reseat the ram?

Possibly. I would test for 24 hours minimum. 1 pass of memtest86+ is not likely to find problems caused by marginal cells.

Is that something that you periodically have to do?

No. Do you move your system around?

I don't move it around, stays on my desk. I know 1 pass is not enough, it was just strange that I had over 1000 errors that seemed to go away after I reseated the ram.

Back