random console command question

Trinz

Weaksauce
ok so i'm taking a unix class and i'm wondering how you would create a file called "-u". touch doesn't work. Wrong forum?

from touch(1):
Code:
POSIX OPTIONS
       -a     Change the access time of file.

-c     Do not create file.

-m     Change the modification time of file.

-r ref_file
              Use the corresponding timestamp of ref_file as the new value for the changed timestamp(s).

-t time
              Use  the specified time as the new value for the changed timestamp(s).  The argument is a decimal number of
              the form
                  [[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.SS]
              with the obvious meaning. If CC is not specified, the year CCYY is taken to be in the range 1969-2068.   If
              SS  is  not specified, it is taken to be 0. It may be specified in the range 0-61 so that it is possible to
              refer to leap seconds.  The resulting time is taken as a time for the time zone specified by  the  environ-
              ment variable TZ. It is an error if the resulting time precedes 1 January 1970.

--     Terminate option list.

Try the last one. :)

thanks :). I'll have to try it in the morning. my roommate is the only one with linux and he's asleep right now.

i bet you can SSH into your schools computers and poke around from the confort of your own computer.

Trinz said:
thanks :). I'll have to try it in the morning. my roommate is the only one with linux and he's asleep right now.

You should also be able to specify ./-u , as this gives `touch` a directory so it's treated as a file rather than an option.

Back