Random Bluescreens

Skybase

n00b
I would simply check to see if my previous post had any responses, or bump it up w/ current information, but I see that we're unable to "Search"?

Anyhow, I've had this issue since I built my new system.

I'm running Windows XP Professional on the following:

Intel D875PBZ Mainboard

2 sticks of paired ddr400 512Mb RAM running in Dual-Channel

Intel P4 3.0c 3Ghz processor w/ Hyperthreading (Enabled)

Dual Western Digital SATA150 7200 rpm 8Mb cache 120Gb HDD (Raid-Striped) (Operating System)

1 Maxtor 60Gb IDE 7200rpm hdd

1 Samsung 60Gb IDE 7200rpm hdd

Thermaltake W0020+PFC Silent Purepower 480W PSU

WinFast A350 Ultra TDH MyVIVO Video Card w/ Nvidia's latest Drivers

Soundblaster Live Digital 5.1 Soundcard w/ latest drivers from Creative

Hrm, I'm sure I"m missing something, but anyhow. . .now the problem.

Since I've built this system, I've been getting random bluescreen errors. Sometimes reporting IRQ not equal to, other times Bad pool caller, always giving random stop 0x0 codes.

This oftentimes happens while writing a CD/DVD, but can also happen while running DVD Decrypter, has happened 1 time while playing FFXI online, many times just opening a browser, or sometimes even just sitting at the desktop. It's also happened while working in Photoshop 7.

I've removed both sticks of RAM (after trying each one alternately) and put in my stick of 512Mb Muskin High Performance Pc2100 ram, same issue (hard to test, as sometimes goes for a couple days w/ no issues, other times right away)

I've taken out everything except my video card, it'll do it. I've disconnected my second monitor, just in case of driver issues somehow.

(this is usually what it tells me when I reboot and after sending error report, and then being taken to a Microsoft troubleshooting page.)

I HAD my CD-Writer and DVD drive connected to a ATA100 controller card I'd gotten w/ a Maxtor hard drive, but have since taken that out, and connected them to the onboard IDE controllers. Same issues.

Iv'e updated my Nvidia drivers (now that the 56.06? ones came out) same issues.

This power supply is one I"d purchased thinking finally that my other PSU was going bad. Still same issues.

I've got plenty of cooling in my case (I believe), from the fan that came w/ my PSU to a front intake, the dual fans on the PSU. . .etc. .most everything that reports my CPU heat says at max 134F.

I've checked Windows update, and gotten everything that I'd think could help. (even DRiver updates, since it was doing it beforehand as well)

I've totally reinstalled my system, and same issues arise. I've disabled everything that I can think of from my startup.

The only things that I"ve not done (that I know of) are swap out Vidcards (as I don't have another one, and this one worked great in my other system) and sent in the motherboard.

I am beginning to think that it may possibly be a faulty memory controller on my Motherboard, except that I'd really think that games would cause issues more than other things. I've only once ever had it crash in a game, and that was finally just last night.

I've also run Memtest86 or whatever it's called, and It seemed to run fine. no issues on any of the tests. Same with Sisandra benchmarks. Those haven't necessarily turned up any results either. In fact, I was surprised that it didnt' crash at all during any of the Sisandra Benchmarks either.

Any ideas, or additional information that you may need??

Have you tried swapping out the PS?

I have never had a good experience with Creatives drivers. I recommend using the build in windows drivers for that.

Good luck

Swapping out the PS? Meaning Power supply? I"d mentioned that it initially had a differnet 400watt power supply in it, and I'd purchased this one to be sure I was correcting the issue. The voltages on this one "appear" to be right on, according to my Bios. . .Heh

And as far as Creative's drivers. .I "BELIEVE" that I was having the issues w/o those drivers installed. .I do know that I've had the issues w/ the car itself pulled out completely, thus the drivers shouldn't be loading. . .

Try changing DIMM slots... sounds like it's time to RMA the board.

However, 134F? That's 56C. Extremely high, especialy if that's not Diode temp. Might want to improve your cooling. What're your system temps?

Creative drivers blow.. i learned this from experience.. screw that updating drivers, peter jennings, palestinian what the crap. WHen it comes to creative go with the ol saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

I"d thought the temp was pretty high too, but in reading lots of sites, as well as Intel's own specs for these processors, doesn't sound like anything actually under 184F!! is much to worry about for stability . .the stepdown kicks in, I believe, somewhere above 200F! Sounds AWFULLY high to me, but from everything I've read leading to temperatures, it's not a GREAT temp, but it's nothing that should cause instabilities such as this.

I've also tried changing the DIMM slots. With both these ram sticks, as well as the single Mushkin stick that I"d put in during testing.

Anyone think of anything else besides the board? (especially considering the RAM benchmarks, stress-tests, and memtest86 results?)

always giving random stop 0x0 codes.

(First run Adaware and spybot, system scan for viruses. No? Warez items? Send them hence. Now......)

Do the stop codes point to a specific device?

irql _not_less_or_equal is something like an incompatible driver, service or program. Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal when a driver tries to use an imprper memory address. I am again suspicious of drivers or disk utilities or antivirus programs which may install a faulty file-system filter driver.
Bad_pool_caller is once again a process or driver attempting an illegal memory allocation. It points to a bug in a driver or possibly a failure in a hardware device.

I would recommend (and everybody will let you know if I'm wrong:D ) using a tool to clean out all your drivers and install new ones from the manufacurer(s). Uninstall any programs you have running and check services to see what's going on behind the scenes. disable any funkiness. If that dosen't work then reformat/reinstall. Rebuild your system from barebones one thing at a time to try and locate the problem.

Appreciate the assistance. I have totally reinstalled a couple times since having this problem. Thus fresh drivers, starting with initial setup right after installing. . .think Audio drivers may have been updated immediately tho. .not positive. So all this talk about drivers addressing wrong memory or something. . .COULD be memory controllers I guess on motherboard, but. . .anyone thinking as I am that It should have buggered out on Benchmarks and more often in games, or during memtest86 if that was the case? WAnt more solid info regarding that as well. .

As for Ads, spyware etc. .same problems right after installing. . .fresh w/o being online even. .no antivirus installed at some times. .
But those last recommendations are what I've been getting from searches online. But after removing all of my add-in cards (besides Vidcard) I just dunno. . .Hehe. .not trying to play off any ideas. . .just tried SOOO much already in these areas! Hehe please keep ideas coming!

So it's gone a good couple of days now, w/o rebooting. But as soon as I get comfortable w/ my system, it'll be sure to act up again. I"ve played a few games, etc. .nothing's happened. Any surefire benchmarks or something that'll really test each component out properly, and let me know more where the issue may lie?

Back