Random black screens

socK

Supreme [H]ardness
Every so often my screen just goes black and the monitor turns off, yet everything stays running. Sound dies or loops and all the fans and everything stays on. I just got a replacement video card so thats not the problem, and temps are perfectly fine. x1900xt, under 70c at all times.

Power problem maybe?

Turn power saving off in windows and in the cmos to see if it goes away.
Then you can play with putting it back on so that it doesnt annoy you.

tried, it failed. i doubt it's just hanging the system to save power. needless to say, it did it again while booting into windows.

happened again, getting more frequent?

1. Are you sure that replacement card is not causing problems? New or used, parts can fail at any point in time, even before first use.

3. Memtest

2. Try a different power supply if you can.

edit: if it were mem, youd get restarts afaik, so i changed order of testing

I just went to check my wires and my dvd's drive power connector managed to wiggle itself half in / loose. Could this cause a problem? I imagine things randomly loosing power / connection to not be good. Unplugged and replugged everything else in to make sure it was tight. Will memtest soon.

A bad power connection can cause damage.
Hopefully this isnt the case, give it a try.

Everything was good so far, I let memtest run for a few hours (turned up clean, yes I know I should let it go longer) then played some games, all is good so far. Bout to go buy BF2142 and marathon it all night, hopefully all will stay well.

lol your pc will be h4x0r3d and die if you play that ;)
(just kidding <- anti flame remark)

Have good jollies :)

Well that was epic. Ran into no problems, knock on wood. Game is amazingly fun and awesome, much better than BF2 in every way really.

... and it appears that my video card once again died. RAM checked out fine when I was testing it. Time for a new power supply? What in the fuck could be killing these things? This is the second one, tempatures were perfectly fine, under 70c at all times.

Beepcode of 1 long 2 short, same as last time.

Back